What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gangs of New York -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Re "And Amazon.com have misleadingly included "rmast" in their product description - they should be told to remove that."

I think Amazon likely lists simply that info which they get from the distributor/studio, so I think that's a BVHE issue.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
As always, thanks for the update RAH. I haven't seen a decent presentation of GONY since seeing it theatrically, so I can wait a bit longer for the remastered version.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I had heard a few months back that a possible remaster was gonna be done, but it doesn't surprise me that this particular February release is a marketing repackage. It happens all the time from almost all the studios, so no big surprise here.

The way I heard it was that Disney did use the approved master for the Blu-ray, and it even went all the way back to Schoonmaker/Scorsese looking at it as compared to the approved master, and them basically saying, "Yeah, that's the approved master - don't know how we could have approved that in 2002/2003. Let's do it again..."

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Or; the remastered pressing may just not be ready to tie into the Feb. 2010 theatrical release of Shutter Island...?

Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison

It seems that Disney are cynically trying to maximise their revenue from this present disaster of a transfer by re-releasing it in new packaging to unsuspecting purchasers a few months before (presumably) releasing their new transfer. And Amazon.com have misleadingly included "rmast" in their product description - they should be told to remove that.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i just did a crazy thing ... i actually asked them [disney] about this. and they said ...

"The Re-release of the Gangs of New York Blu-ray has been re-mastered to improve the video quality. The tentative release date for this title is February 2, 2010."

not conclusive, but it's another straw to grab onto. i can live with this for now.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Any new "411," RAH?

As of this typing, the Amazon product listing has gone from including the above-referenced "rmast" to explicitly saying "Remastered." Smelling more and more like "just" a Shutter Island tie-in? "Funny" that we're not getting a Bringing Out the Dead BD even though Par has had an additional six months to prep the disc (given Shutter's date push). Or is it "too soon" in terms of market penetration/potential sales for a BD of a catalogger than only grossed $16M?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ooooh--cross-posted/didn't see this beforehand, Andy.

Did you call BVHE Consumer Relations? Or e-mailed?

Originally Posted by Andy_MT

i just did a crazy thing ... i actually asked them [disney] about this. and they said ...
"The Re-release of the Gangs of New York Blu-ray has been re-mastered to improve the video quality. The tentative release date for this title is February 2, 2010."

not conclusive, but it's another straw to grab onto. i can live with this for now.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the word of Jeff's post, Andy. Curious to me that BVHE didn't take steps to make sure early and often that this is indeed a new encode if that is the case.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
very true. even more curious that they released that first edition looking the way it did. the mouse moves in mysterious ways !

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Those screenshots look gorgeous and like pure film. It sounds like they took RAH's advice.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That page says comparison, but where are the identical frames from the old version??? :confused:

Also, the frames I'm seeing don't seem all that detailed either. I'm not expecting eye-popping sharpness or colors, but they kinda remind me of various lesser quality releases. Still, I guess that's better than the heavily EE/DNRed mess from before, not that I've actually seen that BD version myself.

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

That page says comparison, but where are the identical frames from the old version??? :confused:

Also, the frames I'm seeing don't seem all that detailed either. I'm not expecting eye-popping sharpness or colors, but they kinda remind me of various lesser quality releases. Still, I guess that's better than the heavily EE/DNRed mess from before, not that I've actually seen that BD version myself.

_Man_
I was wondering the same thing, no shots to compare to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks