What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Everest -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a copy yesterday at the store completely unaware a 3D version existed.
Then I read this. I will be returning my copy and ordering the 3D version from Amazon later this week.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bryan,

In my opinion, the best upconverted 3D title out there!

Beats THE WALK, TITANIC and PACIFIC RIM -- the three big contenders.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I remember the days of walking into audio video stores and there would always be some movie playing to show off how sexy the televisions/projectors/stereo equipment was that was meant to blow you away with the video and audio. I recall that Peter Jackson's King Kong was one of those films that when it came out for home theater purposes every store that sold the equipment had that running all the time. It did not matter if they were playing it with sound up or just displaying it on a screen or television that film would be running all over the place to "grab your attention" and get you to stop, look, and/or listen.

If these places were still around, and I don't think many are, this film would likely be playing on everything they could play it on and you would stop and stare at the screen and/or listen to drink it in...and probably get approached by a sales guy.

It would be the "demo disc" for everybody trying to sell you home theater equipment. Travelogue footage and big booming sound (my wife came running into the room wondering what the hell was going on during a scene where ice collapses during a climb) that is hard to resist as you pass by. They would just run this film on a loop and people would "buy the system" they were selling and take home a copy of Everest as well to test run their new theater equipment when they had it set up at home.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'm not on the 3D bandwagon yet, and haven't seen Everest, but The Walk (which I saw in IMAX 3D) already has me thinking that it might be time for the upgrade. Very often, I find 3D arbitrary and superfluous...not adding enough to the experience to make it worth my while. But The Walk (and presumably Everest, as well) is one of those films where it's put to the very best use, and creates an entirely different, greatly enhanced experience.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Watched the 3D Blu-ray today (probably not the best choice while being snowed in by the blizzard), and while I found it incredibly well-made, I find it difficult to feel invested in people who find themselves in peril doing things they don't need to do.
I suspect that they DO need to do them, just like any of us is compelled to take on any other kind of (sometimes life-and-death) challenge. It's great that we have that sort of personality (as long as it doesn't pertain to a serial killer), which gives us the fascinating diversity of humankind. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are people who NEED to sit on a recliner day after day watching football and drinking beer. Just a different compulsion, that's all.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Yes, but if their recliner collapsed and they spilled their beer, I wouldn't feel invested in their peril, either.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yes, but if their recliner collapsed and they spilled their beer, I wouldn't feel invested in their peril, either.
Good (and funny) answer. But hopefully you see my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks