What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Creepshow -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Very much based upon the old EC Comics, George Romero created an omnibus production in 1982, that while being decidedly low-rent, gave audiences the fun chill they desired, creating a great "date" flick.

Scream Factory's new 4k is anything but low-rent. It begins with a new 4k OCN scan, which is beautifully rendered in color, density, grain, etc., and builds upon it with a Criterion-quality Collector's Edition replete with commentaries, docs, interviews, that I'm betting are longer than the run time of the film, at two hours.

The packaging is enclosed in an attractive, yet probably unnecessary slip cover (potentially First Edition only) that really adds nothing to the value, as it replicates what is within. Better to save a few trees.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS HD-MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Worth your attention - 6.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely

Slipcover rating - 1

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But is it an upgrade over the Scream Factory special edition Blu ray ( which I purchased just before this was announced!)?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I’m not a horror fan in the least, but remember enjoying this quite a bit back in the day. I think because a lot of it was tongue in cheek.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There’s a previous bare bones Blu-Ray. Which one is RAH referring to as a definite upgrade is my question. The barebones or the special edition?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This is probably the closest we're going to get to Tales from the Darkside in 4k (let alone HD).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
But is it an upgrade over the Scream Factory special edition Blu ray ( which I purchased just before this was announced!)?
Someone posted a while back that the original Scream Factory BluRay release has pitch problems in the surround audio.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
The packaging is enclosed in an attractive, yet probably unnecessary slip cover (potentially First Edition only) that really adds nothing to the value, as it replicates what is within. Better to save a few trees.
Slipcovers were never intended to make a release more valuable or to give it a bit more class. Slipcovers are there to make it just a little more difficult to steal the disc inside from the store. That's it's sole purpose.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So then, they'd be mostly irrelevant these days where most all discs have to be purchased from online stores, especially catalog titles. Yet we still see lots of them.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Slipcovers were never intended to make a release more valuable or to give it a bit more class. Slipcovers are there to make it just a little more difficult to steal the disc inside from the store. That's it's sole purpose.

RAH was being sarcastic. That may be the actual purpose of a slipcover, but there are collectors who obsess over them, refuse to buy a disc without a slipcover, and buy or sell the slipcovers on eBay.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
RAH was being sarcastic. That may be the actual purpose of a slipcover, but there are collectors who obsess over them, refuse to buy a disc without a slipcover, and buy or sell the slipcovers on eBay.
I'm aware that collectors -- and annoying YouTube reviewers -- obsess over slipcovers. My comment was as much for them as RAH's comment. I do have a dry wit, but RAH's is the Sahara Desert.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Yeah, the boutique labels absolutely use them as an incentive for collectors.
Even to the extent of selling an extra "collectible" slipcover, and people actually pay for those. I've even jumped off the steelbook train, especially with Best Buy charging as much as $8 extra for the exact same movie in steelbook packaging. Ridiculous!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
As a kid, this used to air on cable all of the time and I saw it countless times. I don't think I've seen it since. I may pick this up at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks