What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Right Stuff -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Heard back from Sherri within a day, she's still sending replacements. Really delighted, I've had bad experiences with Warner Home Entertainment in the past (incl. mis-represented audio/video encoding).

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Six days after writing Sherri, and I have a replacement disc in hand. Way to go, Ms. Bogard. :)

I can't hear a difference, though if I understand the Dolby white paper, the idea is to upscale the audio to enable a filter, then send the higher quality audio stream to the AVR to decode into analog. Audible differences? Probably not. Benefit to giving the AVR as much as twice as much information to work with? Probably so.

So my AVR identifies the audio stream as 96Khz as expected. For those who don't have a way to display the sampling rate ("fs" on some AVRs), I can tell you my Panasonic player shows the size of the stream in real time. The moment when Yeager is riding to Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club and comes upon an engine test of the X-1, there's a closeup of the cockpit glass with the sun glinting off it, louder drums, and a cut to Yeager's face ... the stream is barely 2.0Mbps on the 48Khz disc, and goes over 3.1Mbps on the 96Khz disc. Likewise it jumps that high at the beginning of the chapter (shot of the X-1 by a hangar) where Glennis is driving him up in a Jeep for his flight.

vbDGYSH.jpg

O0kow7g.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And now I have to watch my favorite American director's film again.

One can never get enough of The Right Stuff.
I have a vivid memory of my first viewing of that great film in a near empty movie theater in Champaign, Illinois. It might have been six people at that afternoon matinee.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have a vivid memory of my first viewing of that great film in a near empty movie theater in Champaign, Illinois. It might have been six people at that afternoon matinee.

Plitt. LA. 70mm print struck from OCN.

One of the greatest films ever created about the lost concept of American Patriotism.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
One of the greatest films ever created about the lost concept of American Patriotism.

Is that what it was? There I was thinking The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 were films about humanity at its finest.

Of course, one might legitimately make the case that the just values enshrined in a sane and balanced American Patriotrism is humanity at its finest.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Is that what it was? There I was thinking The Right Stuff and Apollo 13 were films about humanity at its finest.

Of course, one might legitimately make the case that the just values enshrined in a sane and balanced American Patriotrism is humanity at its finest.

Patriotism, regardless of nationality, via which good and positive things occur, and neither people, nor other nations are being harmed, is a good thing.

One of the marvelous attributes of this film revolves around the Aboriginal fireflies.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Patriotism, regardless of nationality, via which good and positive things occur, and neither people, nor other nations are being harmed, is a good thing.

One of the marvelous attributes of this film revolves around the Aboriginal fireflies.

Agreed. Still, those NASA moments were rare instances where national boundaries seemed to fall away and the world looked on and marvelled as one ...and for me that spirit is captured so profoundly in both these films.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Definitely time to watch, and I'm taking it off the shelf so it happens. I'd wanted to devote an evening to it when Sam Shepard died, and life has been so crazy that didn't happen.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have a good friend who has always criticized the mixed tone of the film with his belief that the humor in the film is a little too broad and that it undermines the dramatic tone of the film. He feels that if it had been played straighter that the epic qualities of the story would have been better received. I disagree, but perhaps others felt that way as well. (?) This mixed tone may have hurt Kaufman's chances for a Directing nomination.

Yes, but this was taken from a novel by Tom Wolfe, a rather brilliant satirist. What can one expect from a fairly faithful adaptation of one of his books?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks