What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Mark of Zorro -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Decades ago, before the wonders of U-Matic, Beta and VHS, the only way that one could easily view classic films, was to build a library of 16mm prints. One of the first that I was fortunate to acquire was Rouben Mamoulian's black & white classic, The Mark of Zorro.

I had yet to see many of Tyrone Power's other Fox productions, many in Technicolor, but this was a superb beginning.

It had been produced before Fox junked it's original film elements, so even in 16mm, the resolution and gradations were startling, and a wonderful record of Arthur Miller's cinematography. Think The Gunfighter, How Green Was My Valley and Gentleman's Agreement.

Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray reproduces those gorgeous tonalities in spades, as unlike Fox's three-strip library, quality assets survive on the black & whites.

For those who have not experience the film, it's a classic historical drama. Great cast. A story and performances that stands the test of time.

The Mark of Zorro is one of those must-haves for anyone who considers themselves a cinephile. Especially at a street price of $16.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to RAH for his comments. One caveat that should be made is that Kino is not including the SDH option on this and some of their other Fox product despite Fox having those readily available from the DVD release. Very unfortunate and unnecessary omission.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Yes, I very much enjoyed this on tv not long ago and one of the pleasures is to see Eugene Pallette in the unlikely casting of a benevolent monk. He's generally to be seen as a regular in films of that period as a gravelly heavy.

I look forward to seeing this issue in superior quality.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes, I very much enjoyed this on tv not long ago and one of the pleasures is to see Eugene Pallette in the unlikely casting of a benevolent monk. He's generally to be seen as a regular in films of that period as a gravelly heavy.

Mr. Pallette was terrific in Rene Clair's The Ghost Goes West.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony

Unlikely casting? Pallette played Friar Tuck in the Adventures of Robin Hood 1938.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . The Mark of Zorro is one of those must-haves for anyone who considers themselves a cinephile. Especially at a street price of $16.

16 bucks for Linda Darnell in high definition! What's that phrase everyone uses? No-brainer?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
One of the bonus feature on this disc seems odd. There are some Tyrone Power trailers, and something called "Mark of Zorro Promo". This promo appears to be simply a scene from the movie. I wonder why it was included?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I will state that I also found Eugene Palette's Friar Tuck in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938) an unusual but pleasant surprise!

This is totally off topic, but how wonderful that one of the main stars of the above production, Olivia de Havilland, is still with us at the age of 100! :)

If $$ weren't so tight at the moment, I'd upgrade THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD to the latest Blu-ray in her honor! As it stands I should pop in the still attractive DVD one day soon!

CHEERS! :)

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Phew! Well this is an interesting and welcome relief, since an Amazon review of August 2 trashed the blu-ray image while another said stick with the DVD.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Bob, I too had a 16mm print in my collection years ago. Paid around $300 for it, in 1980's dollars. For a fraction of that expense, here's the new Blu-ray and projected, it's every bit as good (if not better) than my old print. We are indeed in the "golden age" of film collecting.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

He was also a hoot as Carole Lombard's father, Mr Bullock, in the exceptional My Man Godfrey.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Is there a new 'Adventures of Robin Hood' on Blu? I thought the old three-strip transfer was pretty definitive! But if there's now a 4k transfer I guess I'll accept the sucker-bait!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He was also a hoot as Carole Lombard's father, Mr Bullock, in the exceptional My Man Godfrey.

As well as his role as James Pidgeon, the father in The Cheaters.

Two films that I would love to see remastered in Blu-ray.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Is there a new 'Adventures of Robin Hood' on Blu? I thought the old three-strip transfer was pretty definitive! But if there's now a 4k transfer I guess I'll accept the sucker-bait!

I don't think there's a new transfer of Robin Hood

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The original Zorro was reportedly written as a reimagining of the tale of Robin Hood set in old California. Probably building upon that, Fox seemed to choose deliberately to borrow from the cast from Warner'sThe Adventures of Robin Hood. Not only Pallette showed up as the Friar Tuck character, but Basil Rathbone was cast as the sword savvy villain and even the Bishop of the Black Cannons Montagu Love returns as Zorro's father. Every element of this film sparkles, but for me, what makes this film one of my all time favorites is Tyrone Power. He may have had more challenging "acting" roles later in his career, but his charm and sheer star power were never more on display than they were here. He's in virtually every seen, and watching him is a delight. Fox wanted him to be a rival to Errol Flynn, and with Mark of Zorro, it succeeded.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
And for those of you who "do" notice film music, note the absolutely sensational score by Alfred Newman!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks