What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Lost Boys -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Lost Boys is arriving in its latest incarnation, this time on Blu-ray, and the look and textures far surpass the most recent two-disc SD.

As one of my son's five all time favorite films, I felt that I had to make note of the arrival in stellar form.

Warner has returned to a clean element and created a Blu-ray that reproduces the film very close to perfection. Viewing it, I noted a shot in the ruined hotel that seemed to have lost its black level, but soon realized that the blacks were still dead on, but with a layer of smoke added.

Colors, blacks, resolution, grain... everything is correct here, as is the lossless, sometimes booming, audio track in Dolby TrueHD.

There have been recent concerns regarding newer Warner titles that might be lacking lossless audio. Hopefully The Lost Boys is the message that things will be moving in the correct direction.

The Lost Boys on Blu-ray is Recommended, and looks beautifully intact even projected at 100+ inches.

RAH

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Robert. I thought the 2 disc dvd looked good, so I can't wait to see this one:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ahhh, Robert, your review leaves me thirsty for a pint of AB Positive. I'm picking up Lost Boys sometime soon.

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gerhard
Good evening, Mr. Harris!
First I have to confess, that this is my first post to this forum. I live in Vienna, Austria. I am 50 years old, a movie lover from early youth (always preferred cinema to school) and worked over 10 years for different cinema chains (my very first - small - job I had with 17 at the Austrian United Artists distribution...).
My biggest wish, as a movie lover, has always been to see MY favorite movies whenever I like - in the best possible quality. Now, with the new HD/BR Media the dream seems finally to come true! Here we are again: after VHS, Laserdiscs, and different DVD incarnations we have to restart our collections again - oh boy!!
The main reason to start my postings here is: "A FEW WORDS ABOUT..." Why? Because I also have seen many of the classics from the 50's, 60's and 70's (which I cherish and love!) in big cinemas and remember how they looked like (how do I miss 70MM!!!)
And because of that, I'm really happy that HD/BR is finally able to show most of the colors, depth AND GRAIN - without the artefacts of the earlier media. It is so good, that knowing persons as You, are going into the public to put the remasterings into perspective! Many, many thanks!
But now my question: I'm working here in Vienna for a well known High End store and also do HT Installations. So I would be curious, which front projection technology YOU like most. DLP, LCD, D-ILA? Which comes closest to a movie experience in Your opinion?
I hope, that the other guys at this forum do not beat me on my head, because I'm a little off topic...
Thank You for Your time, Mr. Harris! - and sorry for my English (You know: he preferred Movies over school :))

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I currently run a Sony Ruby, which is an LCD projector, but am considering making a switch to the new Samsung "Joe Kane" Autograph Model.

All of these pieces of equipment are good. It really comes down to what one likes.

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I would not switch to DLP from a Ruby, at least not till they get the blacks down a lot more. From a Ruby I would upgrade to a JVC RS2 and an external box for correct HD colors. Or better, wait some more. CEDIA 2008 should be very interesting!

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Thanks Robert. I will pick this one up. Watched this all of the time when I was a kid.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Me too, a fave from my 'teen years for sure. And someone even contemplating upgrading from a Ruby gives me goosebumps =) What an amazing time we live in, an embarassment of riches =)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Ahhh, yea, i was a kid then too! :crazy:

Bunch of young punks...get off my grass!

But really, thanks as always Mr. Harris. I have this on order from Warner. Gotta love their Blu-ray prices. In the last month i have bought 15 BD's from Warner, and about 2 or 3 from other studios. When you can almost get 2 Warner discs for the price of one FOX...you cant go wrong!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i ws told something i thought to be odd by someone who just watched this for the first time.

she is 22 so not around when this movie first made the rounds.
she wanted to watch it because of the sequal.

Now I havent seen Lost Boys in probably 15 years so i cant remember,
but i asked her if she liked it and the response was, not really.
why, " too boring."

so I guess i'm wondering how this movie holds up for those who knew it from
the old days and how it stands up for todays generation of younger movie watchers.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
If you want a film look, then DILA / LCOS is the only way to go! A slightly softer velvety film look is the result. Any of the Sony / JVC projectors are candidates, with the final choice primarily dictated by your screen size, viewing environment, and budget. I have a Sony Qualia (LCOS) that I use for movies and a Sharp 12K (DLP) that I use for non-critical TV viewing in my HT. I have a 5'x13' curved 1.0 gain screen and a bat cave HT environment.

DLP looks much more video like and the constant PWM mirror motion gives a disturbing non film-like look to the image (IMHO). Most single chip DLP's drive me crazy with rainbows. The Sharp DLP is also much more fatiguing to watch for long periods without some ambient light.

Vern

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Wow, I feel old...or something.

What does this person usually like when it comes to movies or horror movies?

The Lost Boys is certainly not like modern horror films like "Saw" nor even like the classic ones like "Friday the 13th." Having seen it again after well over a decade, I find it is actually a lot like Joss Whedon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (or rather Buffy's a lot like it) with its incorporation of humor, its low budget (but effective) special effects, and its more character-driven story. I know Buffy isn't for some people, so I guess I'm not entirely surprised "The Lost Boys" doesn't appeal to everyone.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
This sounds great. Glad to know that Warner has pulled out all the stops for this release. I already own the 2 disc SD, but I don't care ... this is a MUST buy for me.

I think I'll be leaving "The Tribe" on the shelves, though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Cool. I've been delaying and delaying LB. Glad it's something to look forward to in this format. I don't have a player yet but this is on my list of stuff to get to try it out when I get one. Along with TCM and Twilight Zone the Movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks