A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Lost Boys -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The Lost Boys is arriving in its latest incarnation, this time on Blu-ray, and the look and textures far surpass the most recent two-disc SD.

As one of my son's five all time favorite films, I felt that I had to make note of the arrival in stellar form.

Warner has returned to a clean element and created a Blu-ray that reproduces the film very close to perfection. Viewing it, I noted a shot in the ruined hotel that seemed to have lost its black level, but soon realized that the blacks were still dead on, but with a layer of smoke added.

Colors, blacks, resolution, grain... everything is correct here, as is the lossless, sometimes booming, audio track in Dolby TrueHD.

There have been recent concerns regarding newer Warner titles that might be lacking lossless audio. Hopefully The Lost Boys is the message that things will be moving in the correct direction.

The Lost Boys on Blu-ray is Recommended, and looks beautifully intact even projected at 100+ inches.

RAH

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Thank you Robert. I thought the 2 disc dvd looked good, so I can't wait to see this one[​IMG]

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Ahhh, Robert, your review leaves me thirsty for a pint of AB Positive. I'm picking up Lost Boys sometime soon.

4. alter filmnarr

alter filmnarr Stunt Coordinator

Gerhard
    Good evening, Mr. Harris!
    First I have to confess, that this is my first post to this forum. I live in Vienna, Austria. I am 50 years old, a movie lover from early youth (always preferred cinema to school) and worked over 10 years for different cinema chains (my very first - small - job I had with 17 at the Austrian United Artists distribution...).
    My biggest wish, as a movie lover, has always been to see MY favorite movies whenever I like - in the best possible quality. Now, with the new HD/BR Media the dream seems finally to come true! Here we are again: after VHS, Laserdiscs, and different DVD incarnations we have to restart our collections again - oh boy!!
    The main reason to start my postings here is: "A FEW WORDS ABOUT..." Why? Because I also have seen many of the classics from the 50's, 60's and 70's (which I cherish and love!) in big cinemas and remember how they looked like (how do I miss 70MM!!!)
    And because of that, I'm really happy that HD/BR is finally able to show most of the colors, depth AND GRAIN - without the artefacts of the earlier media. It is so good, that knowing persons as You, are going into the public to put the remasterings into perspective! Many, many thanks!
    But now my question: I'm working here in Vienna for a well known High End store and also do HT Installations. So I would be curious, which front projection technology YOU like most. DLP, LCD, D-ILA? Which comes closest to a movie experience in Your opinion?
    I hope, that the other guys at this forum do not beat me on my head, because I'm a little off topic...
    Thank You for Your time, Mr. Harris! - and sorry for my English (You know: he preferred Movies over school :))

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

I currently run a Sony Ruby, which is an LCD projector, but am considering making a switch to the new Samsung "Joe Kane" Autograph Model.

All of these pieces of equipment are good. It really comes down to what one likes.

RAH

6. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Who the heck is Joe Kane and why is he writing on our projectors??? [​IMG]

7. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

I would not switch to DLP from a Ruby, at least not till they get the blacks down a lot more. From a Ruby I would upgrade to a JVC RS2 and an external box for correct HD colors. Or better, wait some more. CEDIA 2008 should be very interesting!

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

That's the word.

9. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Thanks Robert. I will pick this one up. Watched this all of the time when I was a kid. [​IMG]

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Me too, a fave from my 'teen years for sure. And someone even contemplating upgrading from a Ruby gives me goosebumps =) What an amazing time we live in, an embarassment of riches =)

11. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick

Ahhh, yea, i was a kid then too! [​IMG]

Bunch of young punks...get off my grass!

But really, thanks as always Mr. Harris. I have this on order from Warner. Gotta love their Blu-ray prices. In the last month i have bought 15 BD's from Warner, and about 2 or 3 from other studios. When you can almost get 2 Warner discs for the price of one FOX...you cant go wrong!

12. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

The 80s was THE era, lol.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i ws told something i thought to be odd by someone who just watched this for the first time.

she is 22 so not around when this movie first made the rounds.
    she wanted to watch it because of the sequal.

Now I havent seen Lost Boys in probably 15 years so i cant remember,
    but i asked her if she liked it and the response was, not really.
    why, " too boring."

so I guess i'm wondering how this movie holds up for those who knew it from
    the old days and how it stands up for todays generation of younger movie watchers.

14. Vern Dias

Vern Dias Stunt Coordinator

If you want a film look, then DILA / LCOS is the only way to go! A slightly softer velvety film look is the result. Any of the Sony / JVC projectors are candidates, with the final choice primarily dictated by your screen size, viewing environment, and budget. I have a Sony Qualia (LCOS) that I use for movies and a Sharp 12K (DLP) that I use for non-critical TV viewing in my HT. I have a 5'x13' curved 1.0 gain screen and a bat cave HT environment.

DLP looks much more video like and the constant PWM mirror motion gives a disturbing non film-like look to the image (IMHO). Most single chip DLP's drive me crazy with rainbows. The Sharp DLP is also much more fatiguing to watch for long periods without some ambient light.

Vern

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I agree - even for RPTVs which is why I settled on my Sony SXRD 60A3000.

16. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Wow, I feel old...or something.

What does this person usually like when it comes to movies or horror movies?

The Lost Boys is certainly not like modern horror films like "Saw" nor even like the classic ones like "Friday the 13th." Having seen it again after well over a decade, I find it is actually a lot like Joss Whedon's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (or rather Buffy's a lot like it) with its incorporation of humor, its low budget (but effective) special effects, and its more character-driven story. I know Buffy isn't for some people, so I guess I'm not entirely surprised "The Lost Boys" doesn't appeal to everyone.

17. MattFini

MattFini Supporting Actor

This sounds great. Glad to know that Warner has pulled out all the stops for this release. I already own the 2 disc SD, but I don't care ... this is a MUST buy for me.

I think I'll be leaving "The Tribe" on the shelves, though.

18. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Fully agree! Looked wonderful and a refreshing change after watching Dark City which while still looking good, had VERY noticeable EE and odd DNR smearing in many scenes. The Lost Boys is how it should be done. That's all we ask.

Oh, me and JP a few years back when he was in a show at the theater I worked at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Cool. I've been delaying and delaying LB. Glad it's something to look forward to in this format. I don't have a player yet but this is on my list of stuff to get to try it out when I get one. Along with TCM and Twilight Zone the Movie.

20. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

But not Art Sonneborn's three chip model (yes, I know it's very expensive)? [​IMG]