What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Superman Returns -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bryan Singer's Superman Returns in HD-DVD is a beautifully clean, digitally produced home theater experience.

There is no grain, per se, as we aren't viewing film. This is a strictly digital image.

That said, and with all of the caveats in place for a digital vs. a film image, the film shines on HD-DVD, as I'm certain that it will in Blu-Ray.

As a film, it is, in many ways more like its 1977 forbearer. Mr. Routh seems to fit the costume well, with a boyish innocence blending nicely with the man of steel persona.

As both a piece of software, as well as a theatrical experience, Superman Returns has arrived to the home theater intact, and come Highly Recommended from both aspects.

RAH

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Watching this disc over the weekend was the greatest home theater experience for me. I have never had my adrenaline rushing during a movie. The first EMP did that to me.

THE demodisc for sound and subwoofer (SVS PC+16-46) for me today.

Britton

Screenwriter
I'm no Robert Harris, nor will I ever pretend to even try to him, but I found the SD presentation to be a really blocky, artifact-filled mess in comparison to the HD version. I expected the HD to be better, but not so immeasurably better.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Interesting how the HTF review gave it 5/5 on SD, and no one seems to have the same opinion.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I will watch the SD next week in flight. Let you know if I have the same experience.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I have this and the other two Superman movies coming in the mail. While I didn't like Superman Returns as much as my wife did, I'm looking forward to watching the HD DVD, if only for the jet rescue scene.

DarthBeavis

Agent
Real Name
Richard Surroz
Two things about the movie that bite:
1. Choice of actor for Superman
2. Choice of actress for Lois

I am a Smallville fanboi so I think you know where I am going with this. Now when will we get Smallville on HD DVD (and I want meh Sopranos as well, capish?)

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

To each his own but for a Superman fanatic like me, Brandon Routh was the perfect actor to carry the torch for the late Christopher Reeve. In fact, I never thought they would ever find another actor that could come close to filling Christopher Reeve's shoes, but I was wrong. The only fault I found in "Superman Returns" was the screenplay's similarities to the original film. Maybe Mr. Singer will get the opportunity to deliver a knock-out with the upcoming sequel now that the goal of getting the franchise back on track has been achieved.

The HD DVD of "Superman Returns" is every bit as satisfying as the HD DVD release of "King Kong." Some of the scenes display so much depth that the effects shots almost make you dizzy. This is what I personally look for in high definition, otherwise I would just stick to SD.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is this a combo dvd, and does it have the same extras as the sd version?

Thanks

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes, it's a combo. I don't know if the extras are the same as the SD release, but all of them are on the HD-DVD side of the disc. The SD side is the movie only.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I bought the SD-DVD today, I'm not dropping nearly $30 for a combo-disk, even with TrueHD.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I've read the combo discs used to be single layer on the HD side, or 15GB. is that still true of all HD DVD combos, including this one?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it "used" to be true.
No, not for this title.
HD DVD combo's are now more commonly 30GB on the HiDef side.
Therefore larger, or if you prefer great capacity, than any BD 25GB and the HD DVD combo will have the SD version as well (BD does not offer this "feature").
Not a BIG fan of combo catalog releases, butt OK w/date & date if the price is reasonable. Which for me, $19.99US is, although everyone has to make up their own mind on that one.

Ron-P,
Tough one.
The HD DVD would have been a little over half again as much (WM pricing).
Can certainly see the more than twice as much price as a deal breaker for you (your stated "nearly $30" price for this title on HD DVD).
Hope your happy w/the SD.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Considering that my local Wallmart does not stock any HD format, movies or players, I'm SOL going there and ordering online only adds shipping costs and playing the waiting game.

I will be. I still watch more SD's then I do HD's and while HD-DVD is nicer I enjoy watching SD-DVDs just as much.

Like I've said before, if it's a combo disk or a disk that lacks TrueHD I won't buy it. I want HD, not some half-assed HD-DVD with a version of the movie I'd never watch on it (and paying for it), or a lossy soundtrack. But that's just me.

I'll keep buying SD-DVDs until these studios get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks