A Few Words About A few words about...™ State of Play -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Kevin MacDonald's State of Play, based upon the BBC mini-series of the same name is a very well crafted political thriller following newspaper reporters (Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams) involved in an ever widening field involving those wonderful bed-mates, government, the corporate world and the private military. The plot is able to pull everything together, interweaving the disparate elements into a cohesive and well told tale.

Adapting a very fine UK mini-series to a two hour time slot leaves very little breathing room, and State of Play's action begins in the first breathless seconds of the film and seldom lets up.

Universal's Blu-ray, due out September 1, is a high quality disc, and it should be as its derived from digital intermediate data files. As more and more productions go the DI route (assuming that the DIs are of quality), the bar for Blu-ray quality will not only be raised, become also will be more and more stable. This is a good thing for all concerned.

Recommended.

RAH
    Edited by Robert Harris - 8/12/2009 at 01:53 pm GMT

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Thanks for your thoughts. I think it's a shame that this film wasn't able to find much of an audience in theaters. We enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to picking it up.

3. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I really wanted to see this film in theatres and never got around to it. Nice to hear the Blu ray is good. I'll get it when it comes out for sure.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I thought the blu-ray was great and so was the movie right until the end.

I had a big problem with the way it ended and explained the reason why the person in the beginning was murdered.

Felt like it undermined the power of the movie to me.