What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ MI: Ghost Protocol-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray/30#post_3919500
It really is non-stop fun. I haven't been a very good MI follower, having seen, oh, well, approximately none of the films before this one. But reviews made it sound well worth going to, and I had a great time at it in the theater, but I still didn't envision buying it till I read over RAH's few words which brought back enough of the fun and made the Blu-ray sound irresistible otherwise. So I brought home the Best Buy exclusive -- (coincidentally upgrading to the Oppo BDP-93 at the same time) -- and WOW.

Congratulations on the Oppo upgrade. Love those products. To me, they're the Blu-ray player that Apple might build.

Which I don't see occurring anytime in the near future.

RAH

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Robert Harris said:
Thanks for the links! I've seen Screenit before -- they don't go into much detail unless you become a paid subscriber (and I wonder at all the "extreme" ratings they assigned to this PG-13 movie that most of the folks here consider to be fairly mild).
Kinds In Mind I hadn't seen before. They seem like the opposite, almost going into *too much* detail! It's helpful, but a bit too spoilery for my taste. :)
Edwin, I agree that those TV police procedurals go farther than PG-13 movies tend to. What really irritates me is when they run graphic promos for them during the day, especially during sports. I'd like to watch a basketball game with my kid without any shots of bloody, desiccated corpses popping up.
Anyway, this topic is drifting. . .hopefully we can screen this over the weekend and I'll be back next week to join in the gushing over the audio (if Lucy doesn't kill me first for watching a violent movie with Junior ;) ).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Aaron Silverman said:
Edwin, I agree that those TV police procedurals go farther than PG-13 movies tend to. What really irritates me is when they run graphic promos for them during the day, especially during sports. I'd like to watch a basketball game with my kid without any shots of bloody, desiccated corpses popping up.
Could not agree more.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Robert Harris said:
What really got my attention during this screening though, was the audio.
Full discreet 7.1, which was absolutely amazing.  When I saw Gary Rydstrom's credit at the end, I understood why.
Wow, I finally got 7.1 up and running and with video projected at 100 inches, what a thrill ride. Oddly enough, audio-wise my favorite scene was a relatively quiet one - when they are in the train, the sound of the tracks and the movement of the train is incredibly convincing. I had to pause it at one point because I was certain someone was in the house, the sound was that dimensional. Fun stuff!
I had the good fortune of meeting Mr. Rydstrom at a wedding reception years ago, early 1990s, and he was generous enough to chat with me for 10 minutes or so about his work. He certainly deserves accolades for this edition of MI.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Just happened to drop in on the forum and saw this post (i'm in my office on a base in Kandahar, Afghanistan). Also, i'm currently watching it on blu-ray on my laptop hooked up via HDMI to a 720P LG LCD (the best I can do lol).
This improves upnon repeat viewing. When I was home i spun it on my PS3 on a 46 in. LED and the picture quality, along with the sound, were phenomenal. I saw this at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle opening weekend. At the time they were screening the first six minutes of Dark Knight Rises so it was an extra added bonus. Along with Dark Knight and Avatar, the best viewing experiences I have had in a theater, and on IMAX,
Was a bit disappointed that Paramount didnt go with the IMAX option on the blu ray release (ala Dark Knight). I assumed a release later on down the line, maybe in time for Christmas but I guess we'll have to wait. At least we can assume Dark Knight Rises will get similar treatment to its predecessor.
Here's to hoping Brad Bird gets more projects sent his way. He was clearly the best choice given the film that came out (I remember several directors, to include David Fincher and Joe Carnahan, were attached to this project at various points). One would hardly think this went through many issues prior to production as its a first rate product and very tightly woven.
Bird was certainly helped in the technical department, working with the best in the business from all involved (Robert Elswit as Cinemetographer, Michael Giacchino as composer, and Gary Rydstrom as sound designer). I noticed Paul Hirsch (of the original Star Wars trilogy fame) as editor.
Even after all these years Cruise still brings them in. Say what you want about the guy, he is committed to his roles and his profession, and after 35 years and numerous hits this one is his biggest (I think its up to $700 million worldwide)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Quote:
Gary Rydstrom[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] is a member of the Holy Trinity of Sound as far as I'm concerned, along with Walter Murch and Ben Burtt. I cannot wait to properly hear Mr. Rydstrom's work on MI: Ghost Protocol.[/COLOR]

Agree, but he needs to make amends on his Terminator 2001 remix. It's like a bit of ink stain on his resume. ;)

Regarding the IMAX choice of not following suit the horrible Dark Knight Blu-ray fiasco, (changes in format while watching a film at random... really?) I think Brad Bird made the right choice.

Either you issue a full 1.77:1 IMAX version of your film, or a full 2.40:1 version, but mix and match at random according to how it was shot doesn't make sense. Mix and match should be an artistic choice (like when you start a film in 4/3 and it expand to 2.40:1 like Mad Max 2), not a technical one.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
JoshB said:
Was a bit disappointed that Paramount didnt go with the IMAX option on the blu ray release (ala Dark Knight). I assumed a release later on down the line, maybe in time for Christmas but I guess we'll have to wait.
The decision to present the Blu-ray at a constant 2.40:1 was made by Brad Bird, not by Paramount. Bird confirmed this on Twitter. He said that he finds the alternating aspect ratios on a disc like The Dark Knight to be distracting when viewed at home. He considers that an experience that only works in IMAX theaters.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
HDvision said:
Either you issue a full 1.77:1 IMAX version of your film, or a full 2.40:1 version, but mix and match at random according to how it was shot doesn't make sense. Mix and match should be an artistic choice (like when you start a film in 4/3 and it expand to 2.40:1 like Mad Max 2), not a technical one.
JoshZ said:
The decision to present the Blu-ray at a constant 2.40:1 was made by Brad Bird, not by Paramount. Bird confirmed this on Twitter. He said that he finds the alternating aspect ratios on a disc like The Dark Knight to be distracting when viewed at home. He considers that an experience that only works in IMAX theaters.
Personally I'd rather see the IMAX shots (if they are in fact actually shot on IMAX cameras) opened up at home. I love how people can clamor for OAR except when they don't like it. If you're REALLY being technical, the IMAX portions should be closer to 4x3 rather than 1.78 and have windowboxing.
But I am happy to accept the choice of the director in this matter. We've had "multi aspect ratio" releases going back to Dr. Strangelove, and so long as the director feels that's the way to showcase his work then that is what we should accept. Mr. Bird feels a constant ratio is best, and that is his call and the end of the story.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
I liked the Dark Knight's compromise, cutting to 1:78 for Imax and as a bonus giving the original 1:44 AS shots.
I mean, you went to all the trouble of shooting the Imax, why not use the extra image area? I enjoy the shift in AS...it tells me I'm seeing something special.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Dark Knight actually flows from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

There's the DVD which is 2:35:1 all the way, and the bonus disc of the DVD which does shows the IMAX stuff in 1.33:1 (or is that 1.44:1?) as an extra, but also alternating with windowboxed 2.35:1 in the some scenes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by HDvision /t/319938/a-few-words-about-mi-ghost-protocol-in-blu-ray/30#post_3964103
Dark Knight actually flows from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

I agree completely with this. Every time I watch The Dark Knight, I get so caught up in the movie that I don't even notice the aspect ratio shifts.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Brianruns10 said:
I mean, you went to all the trouble of shooting the Imax, why not use the extra image area?
Because that extra image area is only viewable in IMAX theaters, specifically in the dwindling number of film-based IMAX 15/70 theaters. The movie has to be shot to also work in every non-IMAX theater in the world, which will present it at a constant 2.40:1, and in digital IMAX theaters, which have a much smaller aspect ratio expansion from 2.40:1 to 1.9:1.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Here's a quote from Brad Bird on the matter:
"When you’re sitting watching IMAX, the Panavision part fills your point of view. And then suddenly you see above that point of view and below it drop away. And most people, when they watch at home, sit across the room, and they’re watching a little box. And if that’s the case, I would rather have them see the Panavision thing, because it’s not drawing attention to itself… To me, if you’re going to watch it at home, I would rather have a consistent aspect ratio – we even filmed the IMAX sequences so they would look good in Panavision."
http://entertainment.ca.msn.com/movies/features/brad-bird-accepts-his-mission

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Mrs. decided it was time to watch this the other night -- the little one had already gone to bed, so that turned out to not be an issue. For the most part, I think he would've been OK with it, but
the main villain's graphic demise
might've been a bit much for him.
As for the movie. . .very good but not quite great IMO.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I picked up the Pioneer Elite SC-05 and for the bluray player I purchased the Denon BDP-1611UD which I love. I can not wait for more 7.1 titles to come out to take full advantage of my system.
16f6444a_HomeTheater4_20_2012f.jpeg

ce9ed856_IMG_2398.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks