What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ McQ -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Sturges' McQ, a 1974 vintage John Wayne police action drama, was okay for the era, but doesn't really stand the test of time, except for Wayne fans. That and seeing The Duke use an automatic hand cannon, when things get rough.

For completists, it's a welcome addition, as it's being released along with the 1970 Chisum. That leaves only a handful of missing Wayne titles from the 1960s and '70s, inclusive of The Shootist, which is the most important of the later films.

As a Blu-ray, it has some weird things going on, and I'm not positive about what they are. Seems to come down to either processing of grain, or mold on the film element, which to my eye appears the more likely.

This anomaly may not be evident to most viewers, but consider it reported.

Just sayin...

Image - 3.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited:

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Warner Brothers for putting out MCQ on Blu ray! Thank you Mr. Harris for your review! I am disappointed that MCQ did not get a 5 Video rating. However, I am glad that MCQ is on Blu Ray and I hope to watch it soon. I would like to ask other members to comment on their opinions of the MCQ Blu ray quality and I hope to post mine as well. One question I do have that perhaps someone could answer is if MCQ had been done by Warner Archive would it have been better video quality and been as good as They Were Expendable, Yellow Ribbon, Key Largo and earned the same 5 as they did on video? Thanks again to Warner Brothers, Mr. Harris, and all others who participate in this discussion!
Robert

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Great film. Much better "cop" film than Brannigan (although that was not terrible). Somewhat confusing plot, but still a real enjoyable movie. After "They Were Expendable", this will be the second of the June 7th John Wayne films I'll be watching. Thanks again Warner!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks Warner Brothers for putting out MCQ on Blu ray! Thank you Mr. Harris for your review! I am disappointed that MCQ did not get a 5 Video rating. However, I am glad that MCQ is on Blu Ray and I hope to watch it soon. I would like to ask other members to comment on their opinions of the MCQ Blu ray quality and I hope to post mine as well. One question I do have that perhaps someone could answer is if MCQ had been done by Warner Archive would it have been better video quality and been as good as They Were Expendable, Yellow Ribbon, Key Largo and earned the same 5 as they did on video? Thanks again to Warner Brothers, Mr. Harris, and all others who participate in this discussion!
Robert

Be aware, that I'm very, very picky.

I'd bet that 99+% of viewers see zero problems.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
T
Be aware, that I'm very, very picky.

I'd bet that 99+% of viewers see zero problems.
Glad to hear that about my favorite movie! Thanks Mr. Harris! I enjoy your reviews and I have learned a lot about film from them!
Robert

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Great film. Much better "cop" film than Brannigan (although that was not terrible). Somewhat confusing plot, but still a real enjoyable movie. After "They Were Expendable", this will be the second of the June 7th John Wayne films I'll be watching. Thanks again Warner!

I'm in the "McQ Camp" as well. I enjoy both films, but prefer McQ.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris! I've seen McQ before, and I do think it's a cheesy 70s cop film, but I still find it charming in a kitschy way. I grew up watching the Duke's Westerns, so films like McQ and Brannigan were enjoyable curiosities.

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Mr Harris: How are the bitrate on that film?

In the past Warner catlog titles often had average bitrate but Warner said they want to increase that.

The last two Eastwood titles (City Heat, True Crime) for instance had high bitrate.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Hey Bronson! Another site that reviews Blu Rays has the bit rate listed and I was pleased and know you will be too. Don't know if it is against the rules to list the site so I will not. Blu You should be able to figure out!

Robert

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I am on vacation and not at home so it doesn't really matter but I have had MCQ and Chisum preordered from Amazon for several weeks and my order still has not shipped. I would like for as many people as possible to post their opinions on the video and audio quality of MCQ and Chisum. I enjoy reading everyone's opinion! When I get to see them I will post my opinion of the video and audio quality. Thanks!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did get to it tonight. For the most part, I thought it looked marvelous. Yes, there were a few shots that seemed softer than the scenes which surround them, and the color occasionally seemed a bit oversaturated. But in the main, it looked really good.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Watched both films [ chisum mcq ] on BD last night..............brilliant picture quality on both and both leave the DVD 's in the shade.............. more early Wayne films hopefully will be released on BD by Warners ................I wonder what the Sales figures are like for these releases.........I cannot see today's younger film goers buying John Wayne movies in DVD let alone BD.............but I may be wrong but somehow I doubt it......someone told me they actually watch movies on their mobile phones which is extraordinary ............

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Watched both films [ chisum mcq ] on BD last night..............brilliant picture quality on both and both leave the DVD 's in the shade.............. more early Wayne films hopefully will be released on BD by Warners ................I wonder what the Sales figures are like for these releases.........I cannot see today's younger film goers buying John Wayne movies in DVD let alone BD.............but I may be wrong but somehow I doubt it......someone told me they actually watch movies on their mobile phones which is extraordinary ............
Glad to hear that MCQ and Chisum have brilliant picture quality! A lot of the young people do seem to not care much about quality and do watch movies on their phones and computers. Warner Brothers must be making money on all these films like MCQ they are releasing on Blu Ray because they are really releasing a lot of Blu Rays! I am glad they are and hope it continues!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Can't say this movie did much for me. I think Wayne's too old for the movie and he lacks the energy the part needs.

The story itself just seems like warmed over cop nonsense, and the whole film is so clearly indebted to "Dirty Harry" that it borders on plagiarism...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks