What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jaws -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Will the lossy mono sound as it did in the theater, or would there have been a gain by presenting it lossless?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/60#post_3957412
Will the lossy mono sound as it did in the theater, or would there have been a gain by presenting it lossless?

Theatrical monaural audio was optical, and far from lossless.

Would you be able to tell the difference is the question. And the answer is "doubtful." Not for just you, but for everyone.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/60#post_3957390
No. DIs are modified in every way imaginable.

RAH

A final question, what did the studio heads and director view back in the day before digital intermediates when watching the finished article and before the public got to see the film in a cinema, by that i mean how far removed from the OCN did they view the film. ?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/60#post_3957423

A final question, what did the studio heads and director view back in the day before digital intermediates when watching the finished article and before the public got to see the film in a cinema, by that i mean how far removed from the OCN did they view the film. ?
A print from the camera original, even if eventually printed dye transfer. Premiere prints were also generally from the OCN.

For three-strip, dailies were virtually all black & white from the magenta negative, with an occasional dye transfer shot or two for reference.

RAH

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said:
A print from the camera original, even if eventually printed dye transfer.  Premiere prints were also generally from the OCN.
For three-strip, dailies were virtually all black & white from the magenta negative, with an occasional dye transfer shot or two for reference.
RAH
Hope you'll excuse me having a penny-dropping moment - dailies from the magenta negative because that's the one carrying the maximum image information (the green wavelength). Right? :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mark Oates said:
Hope you'll excuse me having a penny-dropping moment - dailies from the magenta negative because that's the one carrying the maximum image information (the green wavelength). Right? :)
Precisely. The same negative that would be used for black & white re-issues, as well as early tv prints.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the Blu. It's a great one. My review will go up this weekend.

I watched about 35 minutes of The Shark is Still Working. It is indeed windowboxed.

And I misspoke in an earlier post. I mentioned "Ben Kingsbury". Not quite. I meant "Craig Kingsbury who played the part of Ben Gardner". As Carl Gottlieb has noted, Kingsbury holds a distinction for getting a DUI while driving a team of oxen.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin EK said:
I watched about 35 minutes of The Shark is Still Working.  It is indeed windowboxed.
Awww, jeez. There is that old saying that anything worth doing is worth doing right. Why buy this doc that people worked so hard on, then present it so shabbily? Why not use a second disc? I suspect there may be some ego involved - this doc was made outside of the studio and arguably better than theirs, so they made it look bad. When the original elements were available there is no reason to shrink it. I saw it on a large theatre screen and that looked fine, so full width letterbox should not have been a problem. Sad.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Kevin EK said:
Just finished watching the Blu.  It's a great one.  My review will go up this weekend.
F
I watched about 35 minutes of The Shark is Still Working.  It is indeed windowboxed.
And I misspoke in an earlier post.  I mentioned "Ben Kingsbury".  Not quite.  I meant "Craig Kingsbury who played the part of Ben Gardner".   As Carl Gottlieb has noted, Kingsbury holds a distinction for getting a DUI while driving a team of oxen.
Ben Gardner is the fisherman who is floating in the hull of his boat when Hooper discovers him. Do we see him earlier in the movie?

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Ben Gardner is the loudmouthed fisherman who makes some colorful comments about all the yahoos in the water during the big amateur shark hunt: "Wait til we get them silly bastards down in that rock pile - it'll be some fun. They'll wish their fathers had never met their mothers when they start taking their bottoms out and slamming into them rocks, boy!"

According to Spielberg and Gottlieb, Kingsbury was full of quotes like that, which were usually given to Quint to say onscreen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ It took me years to realize that that the "fathers never met their mothers" fisherman was the same guy that Hooper discovers. Granted, I was a little kid at the time but that prostethic head isn't the best match. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/60#post_3957567
Just finished watching the Blu. It's a great one. My review will go up this weekend.

I watched about 35 minutes of The Shark is Still Working. It is indeed windowboxed.

In other words, they jumped the shark on The Shark is Still Working.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/322696/a-few-words-about-jaws-in-blu-ray/60#post_3957435
Premiere prints were also generally from the OCN.

RAH

Would you say Jaws on Blu ray looks like a premiere print then as i imagine that is a good deal better than the average cinema print that most viewers got to see. ?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks for your great comments Mr. Harris.
As always your recommendation is worth its weight in gold. But I have to say that it was actually seeing some screenshots of this transfer that truly blew me away. Justin over at HDDN put some up that really really shocked me with their clarity.
http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=87073

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TravisR said:
^ It took me years to realize that that the "fathers never met their mothers" fisherman was the same guy that Hooper discovers. Granted, I was a little kid at the time but that prostethic head isn't the best match. :)
That's exactly why I wasnt sure they were the same character. Good to have that cleared up.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
FoxyMulder said:
Would you say Jaws on Blu ray looks like a premiere print then as i imagine that is a good deal better than the average cinema print that most viewers got to see. ?
In the video posted at HDDN Spielberg says the Bluray looks better than any elements he himself ever got to handle.

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
Sam Posten said:
In the video posted at HDDN Spielberg says the Bluray looks better than any elements he himself ever got to handle.
Not to question Spielberg, but he's hardly going to say "it looks alright". He's out to sell a product and is not going to be the most objective POV at this point in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks