What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Iron Man -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Exactly, that is why I have my internet setting on my PS3 set to off. The disc started playing instantly as a result.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Is it only me or should this added content not download unless you specifically request that informaion on the disc. This automatic download of additional content right when you pop in the movie seems like a severe oversight when most people just want to see the movie when they first pop in a disc. I see lots of problems on Tuesday nights forthcoming.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Totally agree with you. Unfortunately, with the PS3, if you don't want auto-download of (the IME usually crappy) BD web content, you pretty much have to forgo BD auto-start (what I did) or disable the web interface. You can choose to have the PS3 ask you, but then that's not exactly auto-start anymore (we/I need a "never" option). I don't know how other stand-alone 2.0 players are...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm not sure its completely Samsung's fault. It was after all the first BD player on the market for a format that was, at the time, not finished.

Doug

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Then Samsung should have waited, so I blame them, 100%. Don't sell players that cannot play the format they were designed to play. If it's an unfinished format then work with the studios to provide better, faster updates which Samsung has not done, at all.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The way I see it is that the Samsung should be able to play the Blu-ray movie (main feature) on every disc, even if the added upgrades and the specification change is not compatible with the progression of the rest of the technology. i.e. Backwards compatibility should always be factored in for existing functions. Otherwise, with the initial $1,000.00+ price tag, a class-action lawsuit could be on the horizon for some aggressive attorney.

What consequences would stop future incompatibility problems on future models?

Paul

carpenterfan

Agent
Real Name
briane ivanitski
hey guys , i watched iron man last night and the dolby true HD track sounded awful. i have the onkyo 605 and have never had a problem with any true hd tracks before as far as the quality of the sound that is. Is this a fault in the disc or do i have to adjust my receiver ?or like someone had said earlier in this post or should i exchange it for another one ? thank you.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Best check all your settings. I have the 805 and this is one of the best sounding TrueHD tracks I've heard. What player are you using? Also, be sure to turn off the DRC setting, or as Onkyo calls it, night mode, I believe.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Some blu-ray movies trigger the "dynamic range compression"feature on the Onkyo when playing DD TrueHD. When playing the movie in TrueHD make sure the DRC is not active. All you have to do is, while playing the movie press the button on the receivers remote that says "L Night". It's at the very bottom, second from the right. It has "dvd' written under it. Hit the button till it says "off" on screen. The difference should be apparent after that. You may have to try this with other DD TrueHD titles as well.

troy evans

Screenwriter
I agree. Samsung should have waited and put a better player on the market. Like the Samsung BDP1500 I own. Iron Man plays beautifully. Easily a reference title here.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Have to pass a technique I just learned from another site that got my "Iron Man" (Blu-ray) to play on the Samsung BD-P1000!

Links don't work so here is the quote:
Ron-P, try this with your other discs.

Paul Snyder, hope it works for you too.

And as I said on the other site, It's amazing to me that Samsung tech support is telling people "we are having compatibility problem right now with Iron man", rather than giving them "clear the cache" instructions that may solve the problem.

Paul

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

No need, I replaced my BD-P1000 with a PS3 about 6 months ago or so. I retired the BD-P1000 to the livingroom TV which now almost never gets used. I plan to sell it as soon as a worthy stand alone BD player hits the market that can rival the PS3 with both price and performance.

stiney30

Auditioning
Real Name
Christine

I bought that same model Blu-Ray player just this week and Iron Man as well. I watched Iron Man on it three times, no problem, then I did the firmware update last night, Iron Man will no longer play.

Slightly frustrating to say the least.

Paul D Snyder

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tip, Paul. I tried it but it didn't work for me. It did switch to 720p like you said but mine just goes black then blue and back again without actually starting the movie.

Is there another step I need to do?

Thanks!
Paul

DeeF

Screenwriter
Hmm. My disk has the first UPC, so it's defective?

What's wrong with it? It seemed fine when I played it last night.

Paul D Snyder

Stunt Coordinator
I tried over and over but no IRONMAN for me. :frowning:

I guess I have to cough up $300+ to watch this Blu Ray.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Sorry to hear that. It was a shock that it worked for me.:eek:
One last long shot would be to exchange "Iron Man" for a new copy to make sure it's not defective and try clearing the cache one more time.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks