What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ High Noon - Olive Signature -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I understand the disc itself looks better - I'm asking about these particular screen caps - just want to know if my eyes are correct and that these new caps just are not indicative of anything really.
Looking at his caps on my computer screen, some of the older disc shots look sharper, yet the Sheb Wooley/Robert Wilke and livery stable shots looks sharper from the new disc. ???

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Beaver posted caps - he likes this new transfer but his caps as always do NOT tell the story - in fact, the old caps APPEAR to have more detail - APPEAR being the operative word. While I do like the idea of his site and can occasionally at least get an idea of what I'm in for, he is simply not doing these films any favors, at least to my eyes. I'd be interested in other opinions about these particular caps.
I agree. When I first looked at that comparison I thought he must have inserted the new caps in the wrong position and the comparisons were reversed.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Glad to hear I'm not crazy :) But here's the interesting part, at least for me. I first watched the opening ten minutes of the prior Blu-ray. Then I watched the opening ten minutes of the new Blu, which looks good but isn't as sharp - was the first transfer sharpened? It took all ten minutes to get used to what I was seeing, actually. Stuff that's much sharper in the prior transfer, especially some close-ups and some signage just are not sharp here - I'm baffled a bit. The first Blu doesn't look so much like film, though, and this does, at least a bit more. On the other hand, Johnny Guitar is night and day.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I understand the disc itself looks better - I'm asking about these particular screen caps - just want to know if my eyes are correct and that these new caps just are not indicative of anything really.
IMHO there seemed to be a small amount more detail in the new Bluray but -the caps appeared to be lighter in the new one

Going strictly from memory ... I spot checked the opening credits and a about two minutes of the montage sequence and the was more detail & crispness in the newer disc with the blacks less black in the newer version ... though some may find it "teal-leaning" ;)

Todd Mattraw

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
The Beaver posted caps - he likes this new transfer but his caps as always do NOT tell the story - in fact, the old caps APPEAR to have more detail - APPEAR being the operative word. While I do like the idea of his site and can occasionally at least get an idea of what I'm in for, he is simply not doing these films any favors, at least to my eyes. I'd be interested in other opinions about these particular caps.

Bruce

That's exactly how the DVDBeaver caps struck me as well, that the caps from the much-maligned previous blu-ray looked more detailed than the caps from the new disc.

Todd

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had time to watch High Noon tonight in this new edition. Looked excellent, and the film was a gripping as ever. It's one of those classics I don't revisit all that often so each time I do, I'm always surprised by certain elements of the story and direction. Glad to have this new Blu-ray edition now on the shelf.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Got mine today (after initially getting the 1-2 month estimate).

I did a little back and forth between original release and this new one.

I'm not sure which I think has the better picture. It definitely isn't a night-and-day difference for me.

Equipment disclosure - TV Vizio M551d-ar2. Original played on Panasonic DMP-BD65. New played on LG BP530. And then swapped for further comparison.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm just baffled by the way I feel about the new release and I have to say I lean towards the first Blu-ray release. For me, and call me crazy, I find the contrast better and it's certainly sharper - there is no question about that. And still I ask, exactly what element was used for these transfers?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm just baffled by the way I feel about the new release and I have to say I lean towards the first Blu-ray release. For me, and call me crazy, I find the contrast better and it's certainly sharper - there is no question about that. And still I ask, exactly what element was used for these transfers?
Thanks Bruce. You solved a dilemma for me. RAH had me convinced that the earlier disc that I already own is now crap, and a double dip would be imperative. But now with the Beaver's caps and what you just said, I can save myself $17.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Olive is pretty responsive to comments and messages on their Facebook page; perhaps a letter to them asking about the transfer might yield an answer.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks