What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cleopatra (UK) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Is there a comparison on HTF of the UK 'Cleopatra' and the US 'Cleopatra'? Thank you.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Is there a comparison on HTF of the UK 'Cleopatra' and the US 'Cleopatra'? Thank you.
Not from me. I reviewed the US Cleopatra for HTF, but I didn't have the UK version with which to do an A/B comparison. I certainly would have compared them if I had had both.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I compared both and PQ seemed to be the same.
I was not interested in much else so I could not comment on soundtracks or extras.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I compared both and PQ seemed to be the same.
I was not interested in much else so I could not comment on soundtracks or extras.
The only significant difference was the incorrect placement of the Intermission/Entr'acte on the UK release was fixed for the US release.

There used to be....but the link is not there anymore.
I've got an extensive archive of Cleopatra script material that I've been amassing over the last few years, thanks to the Walter Wanger papers at the University of Wisconsin, the Rouben Mamoulian papers at the Library of Congress, UCLA, and the occasional online auction. I can't share any of these materials, unfortunately, but here is the closest thing to reading the shooting script, from the Trivette Tribute to Elizabeth Taylor: http://www.elizabethtaylorthelegend.com/Elizabeth Taylor - Restored Cleopatra Main Page.html

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The only significant difference was the incorrect placement of the Intermission/Entr'acte on the UK release was fixed for the US release.

I did not even notice that, I just switched back and forth between the two first discs on two identically set up players and could not see a difference - I never got to the second discs.
And thanks for pointing out the issue with the intermission/entr'acte as I had forgotten about it, I will probably have to join the two so that I can present it properly for screenings.

Ironically enough I may not ever watch this Blu-ray again except for a few sniplets if this year I am lucky and Cleopatra will be screened at a festival that I am visiting next month. That 70mm print that I saw 12 years ago looked very nice and it is time to rewatch Cleopatra on the big screen.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
But is it the cut 3 hr version or the original one, Oliver?

It would be one of the new Fox prints, they are about the same length as the Blu-ray so a bit more than 4 hours.

Not the intended two-part ca. 6 hours cut of course, as Fox "wisely" dumped the trims in the 70s. If only somebody could have envisioned to use them for a TV miniseries...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've got an extensive archive of Cleopatra script material that I've been amassing over the last few years, thanks to the Walter Wanger papers at the University of Wisconsin, the Rouben Mamoulian papers at the Library of Congress, UCLA, and the occasional online auction. I can't share any of these materials, unfortunately, but here is the closest thing to reading the shooting script, from the Trivette Tribute to Elizabeth Taylor: http://www.elizabethtaylorthelegend.com/Elizabeth Taylor - Restored Cleopatra Main Page.html

Last night I had a chance to study this website just after I finished watching the film for the first time in seven or eight years and after doing so, now I understand completely why Mankiewicz, Taylor etc. believed that so much good work was left on the cutting room floor. Vital scenes that present a more multi-dimensional Cleopatra were lost as were key scenes that better clarified Burton's performance (what's left makes Burton's performance seem too much art-imitating-life).

Two three hour films should have been the end result. In the end it all came down to the fact that because Burton wasn't present in much of the first half the first film wouldn't have capitalized on the romance enough and Zanuck I think was afraid that by the time the Taylor-Burton portion was released they might no longer be together, thus negating its box office value.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks