What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Casablanca -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Indeed it is, and thanks for the info from DVD Beaver. I'd say that clinches it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll be passing on this release, too, and waiting for a version without all the add-ons in the package. The film is all I am interested in, so there is no need to spend over $40 for this version.

I'm sure there will be another release soon. It will not cost Warner much to create another package with the same disc once they milk this release.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Casablanca is 102 minutes in length - a relatively short film by modern standards. If data throughput was upped by 50% in the switch from HD to BD, I doubt that there would be any definable gain in image quality.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I have never taken a film to a telecine lab and had it refered to as "encoding", it is a transfer. Encoding is the process of taking the raw digital files or the master and converting them to a deliverable codec.

Doug

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Black and white compresses quite well, yes? Because of the limited palette, bitrates on HD DVD shouldn't have been a problem.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It's also pillerboxed with black bars on the side making for less picture detail to encode than than a 1.78:1 presentation would have.

Doug

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
You know, I'd never thought about that. Makes sense that an Academy Ratio film would need less compression due to the sidebars being constant.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just watched this BRD and like I stated earlier with the HD DVD, it's like watching this great film for the first time again. What a beautiful video presentation. It makes Bergman look hotter than the sun with her closeups.

As far as the packaging, Warner you need to do a better job because with this BRD release, you're not getting it done.

Crawdaddy

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

That's what's putting me off this. The DVD package was enormous! I'll wait for a cheaper rerelease in a normal Blu-Ray package.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

I agree 200%!! These tactics really get tiresome. I'll keep my SD DVD of this title & keep my $$ for other BD titles that don't try to empty your wallet. WB could endanger their King of the Hill status if this sort of thing continues.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Seeing this revived thread reminds me I'm overdue for a viewing. Perhaps on the weekend (late fall is frequently "classic movie" time for me--don't know why, just seems appropriate to watch old black and white movies in November/early December).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by GlennH ">[/url]

I'm confused. Didn't a single-disc Blu-ray version of [i]Casablanca [/i][url=http://www.amazon.com/CASABLANCA-FULL-DUB-SUB/dp/B000Q6GX8Q]Amazon's listing[/url] shows availability only from third-party sellers. What happened here? Is this just another repackaging?
[/QUOTE]It was released in other regions, not the US one. Warner doesn't offer region protected BRD.

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casablanca-Humphrey-Bogart/dp/B001G429TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257351402&sr=8-1]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casablanca-Humphrey-Bogart/dp/B001G429TE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257351402&sr=8-1[/url]

Crawdaddy

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by GlennH

I'm confused. Didn't a single-disc Blu-ray version of Casablanca already come out on Sept 15?

I haven't gotten around to picking it up yet, and I see Amazon's listing shows availability only from third-party sellers. What happened here? Is this just another repackaging?
I am not sure that it was an "official" release. I think they rushed it into production as a replacement on the Red2Blue program. Many people received UCEs on that program, but many did not, and their orders were backordered for months because of that (my own among them).

Eventually, they informed the people who were waiting on the UCE that there were none left, and that they would ship a free 1-disc version in a standard case. That is the version I received. Maybe the ones being offered on Amazon are people selling off the ones they received from Warner?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
While amazon.com does not have the regular packaged released outright, I was able to pick up mine through deepdiscount.com.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=78828912

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I already received the single disc version through Deep Discount, too, so I am confused as to why this is a new release. Did DDD sell an overseas version? It really doesn't matter that much to me, since the disc plays fine, but I am curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks