What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Battlestar Galactica -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The packaging is, well, "interesting".

It is certainly attractive, but for actual use, rather clunky. 5 or 6 discs in cardboard sleeves makes it difficult to figure out which disc is which, and to make matters worse there is no insert listing what eps and features are on which disc. At least, IMHO the "package" for each season could have been the usual BD cases with leaves to hold multiple discs per case, although do they yet make BD cases that can hold 6?

I can fully understand why Bill Hunt at Digital Bits went DIY and transferred his discs to folders. I think I'll do the same, since he kindly made his inserts etc available on his site.

As for the material itself, I had a quick spin only, and I must say I've never seen BSG look that good -- till now I've only seen it on SDDVDs, or during first run on crappy .avi files. Going from avi to BD1080p is just mind-blowing...

EricW

Senior HTF Member
a local computer store used to sell 10-disc DVD mega-cases, and i bought a few a couple years for no reason. it's come in handy now; at 20 discs, it's perfect to split the set into 2 of those cases.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brent M

Very disappointed with the service(or lack thereof) I've received from DDD on this set. I placed my order exactly a week ago today(Tuesday) and haven't even received a shipping notice yet. I knew the set was on backorder when I purchased it from them, but how long does it take for them to replenish their stock?
Man, thanks for the laughs. If it was in-stock, it would have been shipped the same week. But it was out-of-stock -- and you're upset that it hasn't shipped as fast as in-stock merchandise does? Wow. Just wow. The nipple will be back soon enough, don't fret.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Just a quick word about the Cylon action figure in the BluRay series set -- it is a unique version, not one of the many other versions that DST (Diamond Select Toys) has manufactured over the past couple of years. This Cylon is cobbled together a bit -- the damaged chestplate/shoulder is from the previously released "Battle Damaged Cylon" 2-Pack, and the rest is from the regular Cylon. The bullet-holes are an entirely new paint application -- none of the Cylons released before have had them, and I think they look pretty good.

I feel that's rather nice, that they made an effort to make the action figure unique. I'd expected they'd just put a regular Cylon in there and call it a night.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Yee-Ming

The packaging is, well, "interesting".

It is certainly attractive, but for actual use, rather clunky. 5 or 6 discs in cardboard sleeves makes it difficult to figure out which disc is which, and to make matters worse there is no insert listing what eps and features are on which disc. At least, IMHO the "package" for each season could have been the usual BD cases with leaves to hold multiple discs per case, although do they yet make BD cases that can hold 6?
Star Trek season 1 came in a 7 disc Blu-ray case. So, yes they make them, its just that i have never seen them for sale to the public. I would have loved to have seen Galactica come in the type of case that Trek came in. Shoot, i could live with the slim Blu-ray case, like The Matrix, and Austin Powers box sets came in!
Im a package snob, an OCD thing im sure. I wouldnt buy a movie just because it came in a snapper. Glad those are gone. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickER ">[/url]

Star Trek season 1 came in a 7 disc Blu-ray case.[/QUOTE]
Same thing for the first two seasons of Lost.

Based on having seen the set on the shelf at Best Buy, I kinda like how the big box looks but based on The Digital Bits' pics, I'd much rather have four regular cases inside that big box. Since they're Blu-rays, I'm sure the discs won't be damaged by the packaging but I may put them in a CD wallet just for easier access. Though I'm not fan enough to go to Bill Hunt's lengths and start gluing on the logos of the Galactica to the wallet.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by RickER

Im a package snob, an OCD thing im sure. I wouldnt buy a movie just because it came in a snapper. Glad those are gone. :)
Wow, so you never owned the original release of The Matrix? That's impressive personal restraint :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Will_B /forum/thread/290593/a-few-words-about-battlestar-galactica-in-blu-ray/60#post_3592761

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brent M

Instead, I ordered from a place that won't give you any updates on when a product will be in stock and won't even give you the OPTION to cancel your order once you've placed it.
Don't quote me but I think you can call their 800 number and make a cancellation there. I don't like waiting but I'm too cheap to cancel my order.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Haven't received this set yet (site still unchanged on BO status), but yesterday I did get the other in-stock things I ordered at the same time. (That is a week to the day from placing the order) So that will be the gauge I use on when to expect it from when it ships.

In the meantime, I'm still working through my S1 & S2 DVDs.

Oh, and for those that loathe the packaging on this set, there is a powerbuy shaping up of standard 6-disc blu-ray cases over on Another Very-good Site on their Galactica thread, in case anyone is interested.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brent M ">[/url]

Thank you for being the smug authority on how I order my Blu-Rays. If I had ordered from Amazon it probably would have shipped the next day and been in my hands by now. Instead, I ordered from a place that won't give you any updates on when a product will be in stock and won't even give you the OPTION to cancel your order once you've placed it. As I said, I won't make the mistake of ordering from them again. Thanks again for your words of wisdom, though.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I know that I just got a shipping notice from DD myself on Season 4.5 BluRay, so chances are Universal or whatever company it is has started replenishing DD's supply of Universal product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks