What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 13 Assassins -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Takashi Miike's (Ichi the Killer, Audition) 13 Assassins is an interesting film.

Borrowing from two American productions, John Sturges' The Magnificent Seven (1960), and Edward Zwick's The Last Samurai (2003), Mr. Mikke has based his film on a great western and a tale of an American in Japan in the 19th century, and created from them, an interesting Japanese mythos, which according to the Blu-ray from Magnet, is called a samurai film.

Unlike the Taiwanese Crouching Tiger, and American films such as the Matrix, rather than fly by wire acrobatics, here we have a group of well-trained men, battling an evil royal for the good of the people.

With a huge final sequence, 13 Assassins could be the beginning of a new trend in filmmaking.

As to the Blu-ray, Magnet (Magnolia Home Ent.) has given us a magnificent rendering of the film, which was shot S35, and posted as a 2k DI.

Checking on-line, I do note that there may have been a couple of samurai films made decades ago, but in black & white.

A terrific piece of entertainment released on a gorgeous Blu-ray, with Japanese audio presented as a DTS-HD Master. I would hate to think that anyone might view this with the English dub track. And one tiny problem, mentioned only for transparency's sake. The first half dozen or so sub-titles are on screen a bit too briefly, otherwise...

Highly Recommended.

RAH

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Black and white? Really? Still, I like the idea of big final set-pieces and hope it catches on. More bang for your moviegoing buck clearly.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have an earlier HD recording on my DVR from HDnet Movies that I need to view sometime in the near future. If I like the film, I might buy this BR release.

Crawdaddy

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
theonemacduff said:
Black and white? Really?
mr harris made a reference to kurosawa's samurai films ;) btw, the japanese br conains the longer cut of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks