What's new

A few questions re: Demo disks (THX, DD, DTS etc...) (1 Viewer)

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking to get some info on any of the demo disks out there. I'm a newbie and looking to buy a few of these but before I get ripped off I'd like to find out what is legit and possibly value of disks.

It seems like there are 9? disks of DTS demos. Does DD release something similar ? What would you guys recommend be a good disk(s) that aren't priced too crazy ?

I found a disk on e-bay that contains a lot of trailers and intro's but it's a decent price which makes me wonder if it's legit. The seller's id is hometheatersignsanddemos.

Link deleted by administrato. DO NOT POST LINKS TO EBAY AUCTIONS! - MR

Even though seller says that this is not a copy I'm curious...

Has anyone bought from this seller or better yet, does anyone have this DVD (DOLBY DIGITAL DTS ULTIMATE DEMONSTRATION DVD DEMO SET) ?

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Lets just say that in most cases if the disc is advertised as having DD,DTS,THX demos all on the same discs its a bootleg. Like Kelly said.
I own movie demo wise and they're not FS/FT
DTS demo discs 3-7 and am looking for 1,2,8&9
THX The Ultimate demo disc
THX Surround EX demo disc

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
Ok thanks for the tip. Are these still any good ? Is the video/sound quality as good ?

I guess I'll create a post on the buy/sell/trade looking to buy some demo disks. Is there a website where I can see which trailers/intros each disk contains ?

It's too bad that guys like this can get away with making DVDR's and selling them for $25 each. And he even states in his auction that they are not copies.

"This DVD set does not contain scenes taken and ripped from DVD's, only original theatrical trailers

This DVD set we are selling is direct from the producer, this DVD set is 100% original, This DVD is not "pirated" or a "copy" it was originally produced on DVD, so what you are getting is the original version from the said producer, you will not be disappointed we gurantee it"

P.S. Sorry about the e-bay link.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
I know these types of demo DVDs are rather rampant in certain parts of the world. So it may be true that it's not ripped and directly obtained from the producers.

He just doesn't say that it's obtained from the producers of the (maybe factory produced) pirated DVDs.

I will check whether I have extra copies (not DVD-R) of DTS demo 8 and 9 (my husband obtained quite a number of them from CES and have been giving them away to his friends).

IF he still has them, I'll give them to the thread starter for free (just reimburse me for the shipping and envelope costs).

Anything to combat piracy.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Kelly ~ I would love a copy as well, I've been tempted to buy some of those disks but was always weary of the pirate issue.

let me know ~ I'll give you shipping and a few dollars more for the trouble

mike

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, Kelly that would be very kind of you. I'm new to the forum and it's things like this that make it a great place. Let me know if you do have any copies and I would gladly re-imburse shipping and handling costs. That would be super !
Let me know. If it turns out you don't have any extras I still appreciate the thought :)

Ken

Also sent PM.

Anybody have a link that contains info on these demo disks such as which trailers/intros are on them ?

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
I'll let you guys know. Gotta wait for my husband to get home first, the DVDs are his but if he hasn't promised anybody to give them to I'm sure he'll give them to me to give them to you guys.

He'll be back Tuesday night.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Kelly those are the 2 im looking for. Could I please put my name on the list.:b I would also be happy to trade some regular DVD's for them.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
@ kelly

if there are any dts demo #9 dvds (#8 would be cool too) left, i like to ask if you may send me a copy too :)

thanks in advance

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
My apology to keep your hopes up guys. Hubby just got back and he told me he already gave them all away.

Again, I'm sorry.

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
Nooooooo :frowning:
Been waiting for tonight since Friday ! Ah well, I truly appreciate the thought. Not many people I know would be kind enough to donate disks that seem to be going for $40+ each on e-bay. Thanks anyway Kelly.

Off to e-bay I go to try and sort through pirated copies and legit ones. I'll probably post a WTB thread on the B/S/T board also. Anybody have more info on the disks such as a website ? Did Dolby come out with similar disks ?

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Dolby used to have an online store. I don't know whether it still exists.

WRT DTS 9 DVD, the picture quality is not so hot. We have the Panasonic Demo DVD for the year 2002, 2003, and 2004, Toshiba Demo DVD for the year 2004, and the picture quality of those Demo DVDs is much much better than DTS 9.

This year their demo DVD is rather disappointing, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks