What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"A Christmas Carol" at Fords Theatre in DC (1 Viewer)

Anyone ever see this show? When I first attended years ago I was blown away at what an amazing production this was. It became an instant holiday tradition for us to attend. One year I even went twice.

I always raved about this play to people. A friend of mine was interested in seeing the show so last night he and I got some tickets and went down to the theater. I was actually excited to introduce this wonderful show to someone.

To my tremendous disappointment... they changed the whole play!! WTF! It was awful!! Lousy sets, so-so actors, the wonderful singing replaced by pre-recorded crap, and the entire story watered down and chopped up that it barely resembled the previous version.

I found this on the Ford’s website this morning:

A holiday tradition in the Potomac Region for many years, the old version of A Christmas Carol is being retired in favor of a new version with a new design team under a new director, Matt August.

BAD MOVE!! So a word to all, save your $40!

Here endith the tradition...

Sorry, just needed to vent.

-Bill

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
oh no!!! last time i saw it was about ten years ago and i still remember the entire production. it was that memorable for me. and i wanted to take my daughter and son so we can start some traditions. but say it aint so.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I guess a real life Spring Time for Hitler? :frowning: Why in the world would they have pre-recorded songs???

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tip. We have the same problem with various versions of the Nutcracker. Nothing like a ballet with recorded music.....especially when it wasn't advertised as such

:angry:

It funny… the pre-recorded singing is about the least of what offended me about this NEW production. There’s not that much singing in the play anyway, but in the old version the live carolers singing in the background during outdoor scenes was an awesome touch! Now, that’s just totally gone.

Just one of the silly things they did was have Scrooge’s nephew break into song at one point in the play as if it was a musical... IT’S NOT! It was totally out of place (even if he was singing live.)

And the sets used to be visually stunning. The new version... the set for Christmas dinner at Cratchit’s house consisted of a single picnic table in the center of the stage. That’s it, nothing else.

I'm STILL dissapointed :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks