What's new

$75,000 for growing 3 inches? (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Recently one of the network news mags did a similar story where a family in Texas was paying something like 20k a year for their son to inject human growth hormones so that he would grow taller. (He was statically behind at the time they started the procedure.) I believe he was going to be on the drugs for two to three years and the doctors did say he reached the lower level of normal for his age group.

That got me wondering, does that type of procedure only work with adolescents who are already producing some growth hormones or would it also work with adults?

Regardless for the story it seemed that the one in the family who really had a problem with his height was his mother who indecently was 5' tall. (Her husband was over 6' and the other son was tall for his age.) I guess she felt guilty or something.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
saw a similar story on tv.

they pointed out that one main reason is for advancement. in china, being short is considered a no-no and many people are discriminated because of it. they aren't given the same opportunities taller people are given.

so, at least for some people, the motivation isn't just vanity.

tony's description of the procedure is how the tv show also showed it. it's a constant breaking / regrowing process.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
If I had an extra $75000 just lying around, sure i could do that. But I'd be much more likely if the enhanced arms/legs came with benefits. Such as:

*Arm and leg bones reinfrced with titanium bracing rings + reinforcment rods. If its gonna be a painful recovery anyway, I figure I might as well get unbreakable limbs.

*powerful magnets installed. Some people say you can "feel" magnetic waves coming from electronic devices. Ths seems to be a worthy head-trip enhancement.( http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20040226.html)

*Pop-out knives. Oh wait... I guess you couldn't do that....

and lastly.....

Multi-function sockets!!! Yes, since those cumbersome pins are spreading your bones apart anyway, just leave 'em in afterwards! Then be sure to adapt to a threaded mount and suddenly you can carry all sorts of things without using your hands! Pants that need no belt! wallet you cannot lose! iPod-mini without ugly armband!:D

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Sounds to me like the film Gattaca.

75K is a lot of money, why not invest the money and retire x amount of years earlier.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Maybe my mom could get use from this operation. She's only 4'10. I'm glad I didn't get her height, I'm over a foot taller than her.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I imagine that later in life, assuming you're fairly young when you have it done, you develop arthritis and God knows what other painful joint and bone problems a lot sooner then you normally would. No thanks.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I had a friend in college who had it done when she was a child, because her legs were two different lengths. She explained the procedure and... let's just say, everyone was wincing by the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks