What's new

720p or let the TV upconvert 1080i to 1080p? (1 Viewer)

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
i'm very close to getting the Toshiba 72HM195. if i've done my research properly, then this model with upconvert a 1080i signal into a 1080p signal. i've read that it does it very well, but haven't been able to see the results for myself. i'm wondering for many reasons, which is better?... to input a 720p signal or 1080i signal into this television? any help and elaboration would be great.

- Jason

ps - i just bought the sony viao xl2 home theater pc and i'm thinking about getting the Denon AVR-4306 receiver or the DENON AVR-2807 receiver when i get the toshiba television. the 4306 will support 1080p passthrough i believe, so i'm leaning more towards this model.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Both the AVR-2807 and AVR-4306 support 1080p switching (passthrough). The AVR-4306 has the additional benefit of 1080p upconversion, and will provide stronger upconversion capabilities than that of the TV set you purchase.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If a 1080p TV does not have a 1080p input with HDCP compliance I would not buy it.

Does it have a "HQV" scaler or a "Crystallio" scaler built in? If it is not specifically advertised as containing that then I would be very skeptical that it upconverts 1080i to 1080p well.

If the show is 720p (much of ABC, Fox) to begin with it should be sent to the TV as 720p if possible.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice, but I believe most of these issues have been addressed by toshiba. I've read alot of reviews by mags and individuals, and the majority have been very pleased with this set. I also believe toshiba has extended the warranty on the bulbs just incase there is an issue, but to my knowledge that have switched to a different manufacturer which resolved the bulb issue. The sony sets are very nice, but out of my price range for the size that I want. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks