What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

70mm Screening of 2001 at the Egyptian (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, Tom. I take it this must be part of an American Cinemateque series. If anyone wants to attend this, let's take note now.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Thank you Tom for the information. I'm making plans to see this. I'm hoping RobertR will join me on the ride up. I'll be leaving from Long Beach, going north and have a few spots available, if someone needs to hitch.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
If I'm not doing a 5K that weekend, I am driving four hours from Arizona to see this! Does anyone have directions or information on how to order tickets?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
George, I'm in Los Angeles every week. I plan on picking tickets up on the 6th or 7th after I get back in the country. As it gets closer, I'll PM you, or you me. I'll gladly pick one up for you.

There isn't a way to online/phone order I believe, at The Egyptian. There are some here more familiar with this venue.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
be sure the print actually is 70mm, the description implies that it is, but all it really says is that the film was restored to 70mm and that earlier 35mm prints sucked. Usually when Egyptian runs 70mm they trumpet the fact by listing the 70mm or new print info in bold red letters right underneath the title.

Adam

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm in. :) Adam, it's hard to interpret the description as not meaning it will be in 70 mm:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The print I saw in late 2001 at that very same theater was very, very good. But, then, a 70mm print I saw at the Dome in 1996 was every bit as good. The text is somewhat misleading. Mr. Kubrick never had to have the elements restored, as they have been kept in superb condition from the get-go (MGM, in other words, knew it had something special on its hands). The sound, however, was indeed revamped for the reissue in 2001. Whereas the multichannel soundtrack at the 1996 screening was analog, the newer print was digital.

Whatever, this will be a glorious experience. I am working on a certain friend as I speak to accompany me to this thing. I will be there.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Just a bump up here because I WILL be able to make it! :emoji_thumbsup: Zen, if you see this, it would be awesome if you could pick me up a ticket...do you know if that also covers Goldfinger, or no?

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

They do take fax orders, but only from actual members. Two years ago, however, I saw it during their "Really Big Film Festival" (Hello Dolly was also shown that night), I was able to buy tickets an hour before showtime. It was completely packed by showtime, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks