What's new

$500 max for a 5 Channel AMP (1 Viewer)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Hello-

Im UPGRADING AGAIN!!! Man this is PURE SICKNESS and it HAS to stop!

I wanted to get some choices for my given budget (500) to get a 5 channel amp to mate with my Sony 5ES.

I've considered the Parasound 855 but im concerned about the Wattage (85 X 5).

I've also considered the Newcastle but is concerned about the proprietory remote switch plus I don't know if they sound good.

Do I have any other choices? I've gone thru EBAY and saw some amp (Citation 4 channels) and some other ones but they are WAY more than 500.

Please let me know if I have other choices.

Thanks

Angelo

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Angelo. Go HERE! You will find better deals going second hand or demo than you would trying to find a new amp. It's an overall good place to shop and many helpful people over there to answer your questions.
Good Luck

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
Note sure what kind of speakers you're driving, but if you're worried about the relatively low-rated power of the Parasound vs. the Sony's built-in amps, don't be. I had some of the same concerns about adding an HCA-855A to my Sony STR-DA333ES receiver, but the Parasound blows the Sony's built-in amps away.

The Parasound may not be the most powerful amp out there in terms of wattage, but it can outdo most receivers any day of the week.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Now if I could ONLY find an AMP that will d0 90-100watts (x5) with 75amps of current like the AVR8000, this would be excellent, of course it would have to be priced not more than 500.00. This sucks, I guess Ill have to save some more!:angry:

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I upgraded from the H/K AVR-7000 to the Sherwood 9080 amp. The amp section of the 7000 is virtually identical to that in the 8000 and the Sherwood is definately an upgrade. Much more refined and powerfull.

It can be found between $400-$600.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
You're not going to find many 5 channel amps that provide 100+Wpc in your budget, at least not new. You might get lucky with used amps, maybe an Outlaw 750 or something.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Why not look for a used AVR-7000 and just use the amp section? Not to long ago they were $600-700 and I bet they are now closer to $500. They are 100 watts x 5 of good quality power.

John Casler

JackS

Supporting Actor
Why a 5 channel amp now? Get a 2 channel amp now and another 3 channel later. 90% of any improvement will come from the two main speakers anyway. Or look for a 3 channel now and get a 2 channel later. Used Marantz monoblocks are everywhere and fairly cheap. Get 2 or 3 of these now then add the rest later. Check the nOrh website and read the specs on the Le Amp (100 watts) and selling for just under $500 a pair. You have several ways to go, and all will work equally well .The modular method may even turn out to be the best method, now and for versatility in the future.

kevitra

Second Unit
You can easily pick up a used Rotel 985 (110x5 THX cert) for around $500 on ebay or audiogon.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Wow...I didn't realize I had soo many options at this price range. I dont really mind buying used specially when it comes to amplifiers. The Marantz mono's sounds like a good plan, I really just need about 3 channels now for the front 3 but I was thinking that if I get 5 channels, i would not have to build another rack space for extra amps.

One more thing to add to the equation is that I wanted to get an amp that is NOT too bright. My speakers now are a little on the bright side (probably because of the Sony) and I want to tame them just a bit.

Thanks Again for all the inputs..Please keep them coming. This is very very helpful (as always)

Angelo

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Or you cuold get a marantz mm9000. i know that I have really backed this thing for a few posts, but it is an incredible amp for the price. You can usually find one for about $550-600 used. 5x150 and thx certified.

KeithR

Second Unit
I second the Rotel suggestino...a MKII just went for 525 shipped on a'gon. I had this amp, and now want it back :)

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
How about 3 Parasound 1201A's. You could do that for under $500 and get the others as you need them.

Lando P

Agent
I called AMC a couple of weeks ago. They have a 3-channel amp (2N100-3) @ 150w/ch. for $500 plus shipping. The person I spoke with said that this amp have the same power supply with their 5-channel (2N100-5). I am thinking of ordering one for my HK510, however I still want to get more info about this amp before doing so. I posted a request for info about this amp from this forum but to no avail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks