What's new

50 Greatest Soundtracks Poll- Rings tops list... again! (1 Viewer)

Guy_K

Second Unit
LOL, a bit strange they put Amadeus' soundtrack up there..

A score I was really impressed with was Philip Glass' work on The Hours. Rarely does a score elevate a movie so much.. I'd even say if they went with traditional music, the film wouldn't be nearly as affecting.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
One of my favorite soundtracks of all time is Eric Serra's work on The Professional, not on the list and not mentioned anywhere in this thread so far.
Another score which I feel matches the movie almost perfectly is The Dust Brothers' soundtrack for Fight Club.

Also, it gets dismissed because it's "not a movie" (only because most audiences wouldn't sit through 10 hours of something ;)), but I thought Michael Kamen's work on Band of Brothers was excellent. Then again, on Open Range, I was able to identify the soundtrack as his by ear from having heard so much of the BoB score, so I don't know if it's "formula" for him or what.

*waits to get called an unrefined philistine* :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I rarely listen to film scores, but Herrmann is usually the one I do listen to (NxNW, Vertigo, Psycho). I do listen to other soundtracks, but they're not instrumental scores (e.g., My Fair Lady, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, A Hard Day's Night, etc.)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Good list Marvin, quite a few faves there, John Williams fan eh?
Hmmm not enough Morricone on your list though, which drops it down a notch or two, personally I would take out the anime scores and add The Good the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West, than add a dash of Dracula, Williams or Kilar, both if possible.:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
How about Cleopatra? Nice epic romantic score. Its #2 on my top ten. But the fact that The World Is Not Enough is on there instead numerous classic John Barry-James Bond scores is just re-god-damn-diculous. Scores like Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Diamonds Are Forever(my personal favorite). Its not even David Arnold's best work for the series! The list is officialy disregarded. :D

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
If some of you "upset" about Hermann,then i"m "upset" about James Newton Howard,or Elliot Goldenthal not being on the list.
I agree about Phipip Glass's The Hours very effective score indeed.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Matt, gotta say I don't *quite* get the thing about the Mohicans score. It's a nice tune for sure, but it seems there's only ONE tune throughout the entire film.
I realised that when my roommate played the score -- over and over again... :rolleyes

I happen to like David Arnold's score for the Bond films he's done. It is a nice update to John Barry's score.

Marvin, good call in bringing up Joe Hisaishi. His stuff is wonderful. Yoko Kanno is quite good as well, but she doesn't do feature films for the most part.

I'll also give a thumbs up to Horner's Star Trek II score. I like it.

I also like Jerry Goldsmith's score for Legend. Some really nice stuff in there.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks