What's new

4K/UHD Playback Issues (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I always wipe the disc from the center hub outward, never in a circular motion. I used a paper towel on a lens once and I won't do that again. LOL I suppose you could just dab the disc with the paper towel. These Blu-ray/4K discs *are* touted as scratch resistant after all.
Thanks, brother. I'll see if it has any effect later on.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This thread brings back the delirious excitement of receiving a newly minted laser disc.

The ceaseless wonder, the exultation, the drama of wondering which side (or sides) of the four or six or eight wouldn‘t play.

As I recall - not certain if it was Mockingbird or Animal House - it took six copies to attain discs for which both A & B sides would function.

Different problems. Normally mouse feces, hairs, or other particles within the outer coating. Once found an entire metal hanger, and the front bumper from a ‘58 Buick.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
This thread brings back the delirious excitement of receiving a newly minted laser disc.

The ceaseless wonder, the exultation, the drama of wondering which side (or sides) of the four or six or eight wouldn‘t play.

As I recall - not certain if it was Mockingbird or Animal House - it took six copies to attain discs for which both A & B sides would function.

Different problems. Normally mouse feces, hairs, or other particles within the outer coating. Once found an entire metal hanger, and the front bumper from a ‘58 Buick.
I must have been lucky that with my collection of over 300 laserdiscs i never had to return one back to the store because it was defective. I did enter the laserdisc buying in the mid 1990's and by then both disc and player were made better.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

Big step forward from DiscoVision.

“Defect rates could run as high as 70 to 90 percent, with a total pressing of 2000 sides yielding only 200 passable units. . . . In addition, some sides seemed to refuse all attempts at mastering. Plant workers trying to assemble 100 sets of Jaws might find themselves with more than enough copies of Sides One, Three and Five, but unable to find enough Twos and Fours to complete the order.”

“Some machines were overheating to the point of cooking discs, while others wouldn't play at all.”

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Having read through all this I put my 4K Poltergeist in the Oppo 203 knowing the 13 minute + mark was where the trouble was reported.
Sure enough it studdered and froze for a few seconds before resuming playback on its own. Quality control issues like this are making it easier for the industry to just toss in the towel on physical media and move on to where such errors can be handled electronically rather than replacement programs.
Even more bothersome, I noticed the dialogue track seems to play with limited frequency range...as though the volume, and high and low frequencies have been reduced while effects and music remain unaffected.
There is also an awkward edit at minute 34+. A kitchen discussion cuts to a neighbors door. It is on all Blu Ray releases and cuts like this are often used for comic effect, but this one is so unprofessionally edited that it feels like the image and words at the crossover occurred at a reel change and were lost to a splice long ago. A similar flaw was in the first DVD’s of Mary Poppins. In that case, Mrs Bank’s song lyrics were reversed while the movie played on normally. It was eventually corrected.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Hi Kent,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to your response here; I also own Hobbs and Shaw and Evil Dead on 4K, but neither of these have given me problems on my Panasonic UB9000 (though, admittedly, I don't care for the pillarboxed, overly-grainy transfer of Evil Dead on 4K, so I always watch the 1080p Blu-ray in its "enhanced widescreen" version available on the accompanying disc) -- Evil Dead II, however, causes extremely loud "wooshing" and moaning noises when the disc is first inserted and begins to load. This doesn't end until the film begins (so it continues making the noises even during the setup menu process). SO weird.
Interesting. I didn't have that problem with my Sony that was de-regionized aftermarket. Wonder if it was the disc or the player.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This has always been in the film from the start. Google "Poltergeist Pizza Hut edit"
Yup. I remember that from the original release. I thought it was a bad reel change at the time.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Threw it in again last night after washing the playing surface with hot water and some Dawn dish soap; didn't fix the issue, and I was still experiencing the audio dropouts and pixelation at the same moment in the film (when Diane is serving the waffles for breakfast).

What a pain in the friggin' ass....gonna have to try and get a replacement via Best Buy now.
:realmad:
:realmad:
:mad:
:mad:
:cussing:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When I first got a 4K player, every disc had playback a problem. Then, as others have suggested, I started cleaning every disc first (just once) with a microfiber cloth. Since then, not a single playback problem.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Thank you for the explanation! I knew it was to awkward to have been intentional
It had something to do with Craig T. Nelson's character saying something along the lines of "I hate Pizza Hut..." in the sequence when they're discussing going there for dinner in the kitchen (when Carol Anne slides across the tile floors). The restaurant chain had an issue with it.

From as long as I can remember, this edit has always been in every version of the film I've seen.

As a side note, I really miss the original sit-down Pizza Hut restaurants...I can remember going to them as a kid (and even later as something of a young-ish adult) when they had the checkerboard tablecloths and salad bar. God, how I LOVED the crust-stuffed pizzas (where there was cheese inside the crust) and their breadsticks...

It's unfortunate that most of the sit-down locations have closed (if not all of them), as today's Pizza Hut is a fast food joke of what it once was (plus their food sucks).

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
It had something to do with Craig T. Nelson's character saying something along the lines of "I hate Pizza Hut..." in the sequence when they're discussing going there for dinner in the kitchen (when Carol Anne slides across the tile floors). The restaurant chain had an issue with it.

From as long as I can remember, this edit has always been in every version of the film I've seen.

As a side note, I really miss the original sit-down Pizza Hut restaurants...I can remember going to them as a kid (and even later as something of a young-ish adult) when they had the checkerboard tablecloths and salad bar. God, how I LOVED the crust-stuffed pizzas (where there was cheese inside the crust) and their breadsticks...

It's unfortunate that most of the sit-down locations have closed (if not all of them), as today's Pizza Hut is a fast food joke of what it once was (plus their food sucks).
Pizza Hut and Papa Johns are both examples of chains that have completely disintegrated with regards to quality of taste and ingredients. When I was a kid, I loved Pizza Hut and I know it wasn't all nostalgia. Papa Johns was just getting big when I started college and it was the pizza of choice for all of us peons in the publishing classroom. Now I can barely stomach it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

Yeah, those were the days... I remember on multi-disc sets, Ken Crane's retail store in Westminster, CA would replace individual discs that customers had issues with, and then send back those sets to the distributor with all discs being defective. It was a much more efficient way of handling that issue, mainly because they had customers who would return a boxed set because disc 2 side B had an issue, swap out the whole set for a customer, only to have the customer return that same set again, but with a different disc exhibiting issues. Been there, done that with the massive Fantasia boxed set. They did the disc swap later with the massive Star Wars Trilogy THX set.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I picked up the non-steel book version of this today and got to watch the first half hour or so before getting constantly interrupted to the point that I gave up trying to watch and turned off the movie. I didn’t have any issues with the disc on my Panny 420 UHD player.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Returned my copy of Poltergeist to Best Buy and got a refund because they had no more in stock -- whether the slipcase or steelbook. Had to come home and reorder it online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks