What's new

3rd Rock from the Sun S1 - discontinued? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well, I was going to use the recent buy 1 get 1 free anchor bay sale to rediscover this show 3rd Rock from the Sun. I've missed most of the eps for whatever reason but the ones I caught always impressed me. So I felt this sale would be a great chance to own it.

So....I tried ordering it with DDD (which had it listed as out of stock but available) but the lady on the phone said it's discontinued. So I took my business to dvdplanet.com having the same sale, they list it as in stock but shortly after the order went thru I got an email telling me no dice! WTF?

Anyway, long story short I requested it be replaced by something else with dvdplanet to take full advantage of the b1g1f sale. And I ordered 3rd Rock s1 with a amazon marketplace seller.

Anybody know what the deal is with 3rd Rock s1? It doesn't seem to be effecting the rest of the seasons. :confused:

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Makes one wonder about the rest of the shows in the sale. I believe 3rd rock season 1 had syndicated cuts but I am not certain. I picked them all up at the sale as well as Xena, Highlander, Crime Story, Hunter and the Dr. Who movie Collection. All have shipped but the Highlander's which are out of stock.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
3rd Rock season one (and two) dvds were syndicated cuts...I was hoping that someday they'd reissue those sets the right way (and allow us to exchange the old ones for free. Yeah, right--). I doubt the dvd is OOP; it's probably just out of stock temporarily.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well, this don't end. I got a email from dvdplanet.com telling me I'd better keep on looking for that item because they ain't sending it to me either. :eek: Just as well, I'll replace it with Dawn of the Dead Ultimate Edition from the Anchor Bay sale (ddd didn't have that one, but dvdplanet does).
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

I ordered 3rd Rock s1 from a amazon marketplace seller. Heck, next stop after that will be ebay. :thumbsdown:

You're right about the syndicated cuts. Although DVD verdict, which I trust fairly well, said the cuts aren't too bad. They gave it a 100% rating. On this show I'll be happy with slight cuts since it's discounted so heavily. I agree they should reissue this show uncut though. If that happens I'll perhaps pass this version along and rebuy if it's good enough.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought this too. I was tossing back and forth for an hour between it and Dawn UE. It was a tough choice. I went with Dr. Who simply because I already have a DVD version of DAwn. The "discontinued" 3rd Rock s1 was sort of a blessing so I could get that awesome Dawn set.

Oh, what sold me on Dr. Who was the trailers on youtube. I think a lot of purists were upset about the direction they took with the series in the movies. Seems Dr. Who the movies = Lost in Space episodes + that 1960s british charm - quite a few Dr. Who traits.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
About the Dr. Who movies, I had the first one and liked it in its own right, your description is pretty accurate. I still prefer the TV series but these are fine. Unfortunately a crack developed around the DVD's center of my original copy, spiraling throughout the DVD. This was the only time such a thing happened to me and it was within a month of purchase, within 3 months of release and I bought it in store and lost the receipt. I always wanted to replace it but never felt the value was right until now.

About 3rd Rock R2, are the syndicated cuts there too? I see they are from Network and would cost about 80 dollars at current sale price.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yep, I've been there. I still have a few damaged ones I need to make backs ups, including an oop mst3k DVD. Ouch! But luckily it's only on the clear plastic rim in the middle. Now, my copy of Valley Girls is just touching the silvery bit. I cracked it trying to pry it from a stubborn DVd case.

Great to hear some positive words about the Dr. Who movie. I expect to like it too. I've only ever seen Tom Baker's Who (which I adore) and one film that came out in the 90s that I didn't like so much. It'd be great to get the "teleplays" that those early Who flicks were based since fans much preferred those. They were saved at the last minute from the BBC's tape erasing madness of the 60s according to wiki. Hey, great that you could replace your copy and get a few bonuses all for a song. I'm hoping that documentary is some good viewing too.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
As far as I know 3rd Rock s1 from the amazon marketplace seller is on the way. There are several on ebay as well. So those are the best option for online buyers. I'm just happen it didn't disappear and the price go thru the roof. It can be had shipped for $15. Good deal.

Now, Just to update and go slightly off topic: The dvdplanet experience was terrible. They sent an incomplete buy 1 get 1 free order. Right...I paid for 2 and got only one free. The CSR person on the phone made a quick mess of my orders and I ended up paying for 6 (including one I didn't even want) and getting only 5 for free. I sent them a hot email (and posted the letter on epinions) that they'll be getting the one I didn't want back and they'll have to adjust my order so I'm getting the deal they advertised. If I remember right dvdplanet was a business I had a problem with about 3 or 4 years ago and asked them (with much drama
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
:eek: :angry: ) to close my account.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I received S1 in the mail Saturday. I watched 11 episodes this weekend. :P :laugh:

I can see why it went oop. All those music snipets. Hopefully they'll be able to get everything cleared again. Worth it. This first season is a true classic among 90s sitcoms. :emoji_thumbsup: I can't wait to see all 6 seasons since I haven't seen 90% of this show.

Anyway, bumping really just to remind everybody to pick it up if you haven't yet.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I did too Firebee! Very excited. I haven't watched any other show since I started S1.

Oh, yesterday I caught the one where Lithgow does...

a reprise of his Twilight Zone bit "There's something on the wing of this plane!!!"

Hilarious! I had to scan back a bit because I missed every thing for about 45 seconds after that line. :laugh:

The sneeze bit they do in S1 is also a classic. Very funny!

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Yeah, that one was hilarious. Agreed. By the way, my screen name is Firebee. But my real name is Dan Hart. Nice to meet you.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
IIRC, they did another reprise of that bit when William Shatner guest-starred; because Shatner had done that bit on the original series while Lithgow played the same part in the 80s movie.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember that now! I think I caught the promo when it first aired that The Shat was Big Giant Head. Oh, speaking of promos, I was thrilled that they took the time to dig up those promos and include them in the sets.

I'm just about to start S2. But I'm going to slow down and watch other stuff. It'll be tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks