What's new

$3000 budget for projector and screen (1 Viewer)

M Ram

Auditioning
Real Name
Mohan
Hello Sam,
I have recently purchased an Epson 5020 and waiting to get the whole thing professionally installed. Just wondering what your experience has been with this projector and whether I should watch out for any specific issues with it.
New member to the forum and likely have a lot of questions on various issues - AVR choice up next!
Thank you.
Mohan

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hi Mohan. I'm very satisfied with mine. All I did so far was attach it to my mount and turn it on, out of the box it was in a decent position calibration wise in the THX mode. Eventually I will tweak it to taste but I've had it running for over 3 weeks with not a button press other than On and Standby.

Others are much more picky I am sure, but it has been great for me like this! No convergence needed either on mine.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Mohan

Put on a full white screen and check for color uniformity.

Put on a white convergence screen and look for convergence error. I have never seen an epson that does not require convergence adjustment (note to Sam). I have sold / adjusted more than 20 of these PJs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yep, I'm sure mine could use a minor tweak or two to make it closer to perfect Greg. I'm near sighted (tho my glasses correct that!) and two kinds of color blind (Red/Green and blue/brown deficient) so I know I am never going to get true perfection and I'm OK with that. Will be doing a consumer level calibration sometime down the line when I've got a free weekend and a more reliable set of eyes to help me out. I don't doubt that a professional calibration looks awesome, I'm just not sure it's worth it to someone with my conditions.

Word on another forum is that Epson has been tightening their QC with most recent shipments, hopefully that is true!

M Ram

Auditioning
Real Name
Mohan
Sam and Gregg,Thank you for your responses. I will make sure I tell the installer to check on the convergence error - I suspect he should be aware and will check such things as a matter of routine. It is always good for the customer to be aware and educated on these things as well. Just ordered a Stewart screen [fixed] and cannot wait to get this project going!Will report back on how things go with the install and issues, if any, with the projector. It might be a couple of weeks before all done.Thanks again,Mohan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks