What's new

Netflix 3 Body Problem (1 Viewer)

John

Agent
Real Name
John
SanTi.jpg

I hope my notes here show you how utterly unprepared I was for this book when I tried it last time. This show coming to Netflix in January will force me to redouble my efforts in my studies. I hope to get to the right reading level in time for the release. At this point, I'm chugging through Coraline in decent clips, at the very least. So many words, so little time...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was middling on the book — didn’t enjoy it enough to read the rest of the trilogy.

But, I’m excited for the streaming adaptation. The trailer looks great, even capturing the weirdness of the book.

John

Agent
Real Name
John
I was middling on the book — didn’t enjoy it enough to read the rest of the trilogy.
I've heard this opinion before, both in Mandarin and English. I'm under the impression that it, like a lot of trilogies, heats up in the second act. What I was getting from the book, which was admittedly not as much as I would have liked, did seem a bit sillyish.

Still, his short story "Whale Song" (鲸歌) was quite good (though, I used an app to help me). I'm going to make a concentrated effort on this book again in November and see if my skill are good enough this time around, nonetheless. I hope to enjoy this show in January.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I've made it to episode 5 Judgement Day so far and have been enjoying it immensely. And that whole data retrieval scene that played out left me speechless. Absolutely brutal.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I’ve watched 4 episodes so far and I’m really enjoying it.

However, there was something in the 4th episode that bugged me. They really made it clear that the
San Ti
don’t understand the concepts of metaphor, fictional stories and lying. Fair enough. But they were clearly involved with the VR vetting “game” which heavily uses those concepts. So that doesn’t track. But maybe there’s more to it.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I finished it yesterday and agree with Greg above, definitely one of the better science fiction shows in a while.

I keep hearing that the books 2 & 3 get crazier and I'm hoping that that can be brought to screen accurately.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I spent some time reading The Three-Body Problem (too many things going on to make it a quick read), and finally finished it a few days ago. Loved it. Binged the Netflix show over the past two nights, and liked it quite a bit.

While there are a number of changes from the book to the series, the latter definitely captures the essence of the story, and the changes aren't problematic from my point of view. The story is clearly condensed, but none of the missing material impacts the narrative in a negative way. Well, except for one scene:

I wasn't expecting Ye Wenjie to be killed by Tatania. It was clear to me that Wenjie was planning to commit suicide by throwing herself off the cliff. The "problem" with that, though, was that there was a flashback scene in the book where she killed two colleagues (one of which was her husband) by sending them to their deaths off the cliff. Her throwing herself off would've been an echo of that, but those men's death was left out of the show, so her suicide in that manner wouldn't make that connection.

I was happy to see that the flashback scenes were in (subtitled) Mandarin (except for moments of English dialog where appropriate).

Regarding the episode "Judgment Day"...it was a powerful episode, no doubt, and not just for the "
Red Wedding
Moment". The rest of the episode was impressive as well. But I did have just a slight issue with That Moment.

In the book, it seemed clear that there were no innocents aboard the ship, other than the ship's pilot. I did think that Benioff & Weiss were trying for too egregious a shock in having children on board. The scene should've worked as powerfully without going that far.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the trilogy on the screen. I hope Netflix doesn't disappoint us in that score.

In the meantime, the Chinese TV adaptation of the book -- with 30 episodes! -- is available on Amazon Prime, and I'm ready to dig into that.

Favorite line of the series: Auggie's "The British really suck at beaches."

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
My father-in-law watched the Netflix version first and really liked it. Then he got may 6-7 episodes deep into the Chinese TV adaption and just couldn't finish it. Now he's reading the books and enjoying the first one immensely.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Finished it tonight and really enjoyed it. I’m very interested in learning where (and how) this story goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks