What's new

$249 iPod Mini guts = $479 hard drive for your camera (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
http://www.studio2f.com/archives/000438.php

Yep, the hard drive is a regular old CF microdrive...you can yank it out, format it to FAT on your PC using a card reader/writer, then stick it in your Nikon for zillions of pictures (4GB drive).

You can also stick a regular CF flash card in your iPod mini...less songs, but probably adds battery life.

Remember the myth of the $100 profitable iPod? It's pretty obvious that Apple loses money on the hardware (not that there's anything wrong with that).

EDIT: Disclaimer: Some people say it doesn't work, that the drives are locked in IDE mode. Others say it does if you format the drive correctly. Perhaps both are true; some drives locked, some not.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Theres also one from Rio that has the Hitatchi 4GB CF card in it as well, can can be ripped apart for the MicroDrive :)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
it doesn't mean apple is losing money on the hardware.

hitachi just might be making a huge profit off of the hard drives when they are sold straight to consumers.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Apple might be making money, though I personally suspect they are just breaking even at best. My opinion only. Even if they cost of the hard drive is $100, once you add the battery, the electronics, the hardware, manufacturing, the r&d, the support, marketing, and distribution costs, then the retail markup, I don't see profit. Again, that is fine, I can appreciate the razor/blade model.

Jobs has made it pretty clear they'd love to have players in the $100+ range if they wouldn't take a bath on the hardware.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Apple is making money on them. Hitachi is making more money on the Microdrives.

The MD from the Muvo2 actually works, unlike the one in the Ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks