What's new

2024 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Well, it's a good thing they're in LA, not Philly or some other particularly tough sports town, heh... but they're so stacked seemingly w/ plenty of reinforcements coming as the season wears on, so... Of course, the Braves and Phillies are also quite stacked too... plus you can't just rule out at least a couple other dark(er) horse NL contenders either NVM who'd represent the AL in the Fall Classic... :P

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Record setting night for the Arizona diamondbacks! 14 runs in the 3rd inning! I guess it’s a record for runs given up by Colorado too! Az 16 Col 1!

I watched a bit of the orioles, dodgers then settled on most of the Tigers game. Jason Benetti is one of my favorite non Mets announcers! Craig Monroe is a good new color analyst for him to partner with too! I’ll be watching more tigers games than in past seasons!

Excited to watch the Mets play today and this weekend! LGM!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^
40 minute rain delay around the 4th inning, but they got the game in.
Joe Kelly likely why the Dodgers didn't win, however...
Extra innings. Bottom of the 10th. Bases loaded. Two outs. Ohtani up to bat.
Pop up.
St. Louis wins 6-5.

Cardinals 6 hits. Dodgers 14 hits!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Special Game Watch -- Blue Jays at Astros

Going to the To 9th
30yo Astros journeyman Ronel Blanco 91 pitches, 1BB (leadoff hitter of game) finished top of 8th (career 8 start)
Astros up 10-0

MLBNetwork most places

Comeback to mound - 1st out (2nd pitch)
Grounder to 1st - 2nd out (1st pitch)
Leadoff hitter George Springer batting 3-2 count. Walks again
Vlad (0-3 with 3 Ks) 2-2 pitch - Ground out to second -- NO HITTER on 105pitches

Blanco's New papa with new baby (2nd) 6 days ago and found out he made the Astros major league roster the same day -- such a cool sequence in life
Absolute brilliant change up all night

New Astros manager with his first victory of career and Astros 1W-4L on the season after 4 game sweep by Yankees
Odd that Astros have 4 (?) of the last 7 no hitters in MLB since mid 2022 (6 of last 22 since 2019) and a ton of No Hitters broken up in 9th inning judging by the number of times I've posted in these threads.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Congrats to Ronel. I read that it’s the earliest date in a regular season that a no-no has been thrown. My take is, due to the concern about pitch counts, innings limits (especially for the 3-5 starters), and twice through the lineup restrictions, we’re not going to be seeing many more no-hitters going forward
(the complete game barely exists today).

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Earliest ever no hitter by dates though a ton of that comes back until recently nobody used to play their first game until the 2nd week of April.
March games were unheard of until fairly recently.

Astros manager is the fisrt in ML history to have his 1st victory be a no hitter

Single pitcher no hitters -- certainly seem to be less common. General no hitters I'm not sure if they'll be more or less of them going forward. If I had to guess the rate of no hitter may increase over the time.

I think MLB is up to 20 combined no hitters now and 9 of them have come since 2018. I was at the 7th one in 1990
Somewhat of an odditiy -- Babe Ruth started the 1st one in that game where he walked the leadoff hitter, got thrown out arguing Balls/Strike, relief pitch came in -- runner Caught stealing on first pitch and then 26 straight outs. For many many years (1917-1991) this was recorded as a perfect game since the pitcher of record recorded 27 outs without allowing a baserunner

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That’s for the investigation to determine and if that interpreter did indeed steal that 4.5M then criminal charges needs to happen in order to clear Ohtani from any type of gambling allegations.
Wow, the former Ohtani interpreter stole over 16M from Ohtani according to the Feds.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I had to laugh at something about last night's loss to the Padres.

"You hear a little bit of everything playing at Dodger Stadium," Tatis said. An amused Fernando Tatis Jr. said the heckling from the outfield stands tonight included a suggestion that he had gotten a Brazilian butt lift.

661a334c76231.image.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is there any point to these uniforms other than to try and get fans to buy another jersey?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I saw on another site that everyone’s favorite umpire was in the news for a horse shit strike zone. Just unfortunate that there seemingly is no recourse for baseball- they likely couldn’t get rid of him, no matter that he’s a substandard ump, and a jerk to boot.
Maybe the RoboUmp system that inevitably will be in the game should be called the Guardian Angel, in his honor
(he’s a reason this is needed).

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Is there any point to these uniforms other than to try and get fans to buy another jersey?
Someone I chat with on a forum who's in Philly, immediately hated the idea of Philly's recently unveiled City Connect uniforms when I pointed them out to him recently and asked that same question. So I looked for the official wording behind them when they first started coming out thee years ago, according to MLB, this statement is why these were introduced: The Nike MLB City Connect program was created to celebrate the bond between each Club and its city. This uniform series explores the personality, values and customs that make each community and their residents unique. Nike and MLB Clubs partnered to design jerseys inspired by their cities to celebrate new baseball traditions and invite more fans into the game of baseball.

They do leave out "making money" for the teams, too. If you like a team, you're apt to buy the new things in some way or fashion. Teams do change their uniform looks/styles more often than you'd think, except for a few franchises, like the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox.

The Dodgers original City Connect uniforms made them look like they were wearing pajamas. Last year they traded the blue pants for white and tey looked much better. According to MLB articles about City Connect jerseys for this year, the Dodgers are doing a third take!

Screenshot-2024-03-13-at-3.11.10-PM-672x721.png

I was all for this when it began, but been disappointed in almost all of them. I like the Nationals the best, but the article I read says they are retiring them after this season. What I don't like is MLB allowing teams to wear shoulder patches that some company buys to advertise on their uniforms. Most of them look horrible. They didn't last year, but this year the Dodgers have one. A blue patch with a big G on it. I didn't even want to know what it was for a month. It's not as bad as it could be, the G stands for the Guggenheim Group that owns the Dodgers.

If you want to see it:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGUwqNzaoAAQZzr?format=jpg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yankees radio voice John Sterling is retiring immediately- health concerns. Not a Yankees fan, but I did like his identifiable home run call- “It is high, it is far, it isssss…GONE!”
Always sad when fans inevitably lose their favorite baseball voices. I still miss Harry Kalas (“OUTTA HERE!”), and Richie Ashburn- the voices of the Phillies for more than 25 years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yankees radio voice John Sterling is retiring immediately- health concerns. Not a Yankees fan, but I did like his identifiable home run call- “It is high, it is far, it isssss…GONE!”
Always sad when fans inevitably lose their favorite baseball voices. I still miss Harry Kalas (“OUTTA HERE!”), and Richie Ashburn- the voices of the Phillies for more than 25 years.
His retirement isn't due to health concerns as the NY media/New York Post got that wrong. He's retiring because he lost the passion for the job. He's 86 years old on July 4th so he's just plain, tired out.

With all that said, I used to like Sterling when he did sports radio in NYC back in the early 1970s. However, as a life-long Yankees fan, I wasn't a fan of his doing play-by-play on the radio.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
His retirement isn't due to health concerns as the NY media/New York Post got that wrong. He's retiring because he lost the passion for the job. He's 86 years old on July 4th so he's just plain, tired out.

With all that said, I used to like Sterling when he did sports radio in NYC back in the early 1970s. However, as a life-long Yankees fan, I wasn't a fan of his doing play-by-play on the radio.
What did Sterling do, before he took over as the Yankees guy in 1989? Was he the local all sports voice, like Mad Dog Russo, and the guy he used to work with (forget his name)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks