What's new

2014 - 2015 NHL Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
David,I know you're talking to Scott Merryfield, but I hope you don't mind one or two remarks from me. I just watched that game and the Canadiens are starting to make me angry these days, what with them coming back and winning games they have no business winning! Grrrr. ;)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Of course not, Scott. Yes, the Canadians are quite infuriating. ;-) I think it's a call that could have gone either way. Price was leaning into him, but I understand why they called it. I just hated to see a vintage Datsyukian goal not count. It would've been one of the top plays of the night had it counted.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DavidJ said:
Scott, are you watching the game tonight? What's your take from the perspective of a Habs fan on the disallowed Datsyuk goal?
It was definitely a close call that could have gone either way, but I saw that exact same call being made in the playoffs more than once last season. So, the league seems to be emphasizing goaltender interference. The homer broadcasters doing the Wings telecast wouldn't know that, though, as they were only in the playoffs long enough to experience a Lucic caveman incident (which doesn't take long :P ).

Other than that call, though, the Wings were getting all the breaks from the officials. They got away with interference and clutching/grabbing all night, plus a blatant too many men on the ice call that was missed. Detroit dominated the 2nd period, but the Habs were all over them in the 3rd. Both goalies were solid.

Montreal has now given up the first goal in six straight games, but is 5-1 in those games.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Had the Canadiens been playing the Bruins last night and had that occurred, it would not be good enough for me. In fact, I would have seen to it that it was overturned. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, don't tell me you are going to start playing the Bruins Wheel of Excuses? :D

SwA9adL.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott Merryfield said:
Scott, don't tell me you are going to start playing the Bruins Wheel of Excuses? :D

SwA9adL.gif
Where is Jeff Gatie when I need him. ;)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Scott Merryfield said:
Well, Kerry Fraser thinks the call to disallow the Datsyuk goal was correct. That's good enough for me.
Well, it's not for me. :) He bases his entire thesis that it was the correct call by saying that Abs initiated the contact and I'm not sure that he did. Price also moved into him.

That said, I really didn't have a beef with the call. As you've said they tend to call those and err on the side of giving the goalie the benefit. And they should in my opinion. I just wondered what the "other side" thought.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DavidJ said:
Well, it's not for me. :) He bases his entire thesis that it was the correct call by saying that Abs initiated the contact and I'm not sure that he did. Price also moved into him.

That said, I really didn't have a beef with the call. As you've said they tend to call those and err on the side of giving the goalie the benefit. And they should in my opinion. I just wondered what the "other side" thought.
David, read the 2nd part of Rule 69.3 in the link to the Fraser article. It states:

"If a goalkeeper, in the act of establishing his position within his goal crease, initiates contact with an attacking player who is in the goal crease, and this results in an impairment of the goalkeeper's ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed."

So, even if you believe that Price initiated the contact, as long as Abdelkader is in the blue ice the goal should be disallowed, per the rule.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
You're right. His skate was in the blue. I know it sounds like I think it shouldn't have been called, but I don't. I would've wanted the same call if it had been Howard. I've seen many times when it wasn't called and I think it was smart of Price to lean into him when he was losing sight of Dats.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
DavidJ said:
Haha. That's harsh.
DavidJ,It may be harsh to some, but in all sincerity, I respect Scott M. as much as anyone I've ever 'met' online when it comes to sports knowledge. So I thought it was done in good taste. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DavidJ said:
You're right. His skate was in the blue. I know it sounds like I think it shouldn't have been called, but I don't. I would've wanted the same call if it had been Howard. I've seen many times when it wasn't called and I think it was smart of Price to lean into him when he was losing sight of Dats.
I agree, David. It's a call that the officials are not always consistent in calling, but they should be. The rule is quite clear. Also, Price is one of the best goalies in taking advantage of the rule, which will definitely upset the opposing teams and their fans.
Ockeghem said:
DavidJ,
It may be harsh to some, but in all sincerity, I respect Scott M. as much as anyone I've ever 'met' online when it comes to sports knowledge. So I thought it was done in good taste. :)
Thanks, Scott. You gave me the perfect setup, and I just couldn't resist. That wheel has been a source of great amusement on the Habs section of the HockeysFuture board for a few years now. I only post in the Ontario Hockey League section under the name Whalers Fan, but reading the Habs section is always entertaining. I only rarely venture into the Bruins section... it's scary in there. :lol:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ockeghem said:
DavidJ,It may be harsh to some, but in all sincerity, I respect Scott M. as much as anyone I've ever 'met' online when it comes to sports knowledge. So I thought it was done in good taste. :)
Harsh, but FUNNY. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,I actually loved seeing that wheel. However, I was finding myself turning my head sideways a few times trying to read some of the choices as it was spinning!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,I actually loved seeing that wheel. However, I was finding myself turning my head sideways a few times trying to read some of the choices as it was spinning!
If you stare at the wheel for awhile, it can become mesmerizing! :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I caught the final 5 minutes of the Habs 3-1 win over the Ranger last night. After the game, they posted Price's career record versus the Rangers -- something like 13-3. Gee, I wonder if he could have changed the outcome of last year's Eastern Conference Finals had Kreider not taken him out? :angry:

I see the Leafs are in late season form in October!. Last week they hired Mark Hunter for their front office. Hunter had been part owner, team president and GM of the London Knights of the OHL (he still is part owner). If this continues, expect new team president Brendan Shanahan to make changes at GM and head coach. Hunter could end up as GM.

Remember the name Sonny Milano in 2-3 years. The 2014 first round pick of the Columbus Bluejackets (16th overall) made his debut for my hometown Plymouth Whalers this weekend. Milano was injured in a preseason NHL prospects tournament in Traverse City, so he missed the first month of the OHL season after backing out of his commitment with Boston College to sign with the Whalers. Sonny has incredible skating, puck handling and vision skills -- over two games he dazzled the crown with a goal and four assists -- a couple of which were amazing passes. He looks better than Tyler Seguin did when he played in Plymouth, and that is high praise!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks