What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2014 - 2015 NHL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Boston Bruins eliminated from postseason contention:

BruinsGolf.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Habs drew the toughest first round opponent possible. Ottawa has given them fits all season. If Pacioretty is unable to play, I think this could be a first round upset. Price needs to be at the top of his game in this series.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I see the Bruins have fired their GM. That Seguin deal probably didn't help his cause. With salary cap issues to contend with, the new GM will not have an easy job.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Seguin deal, the Boychuck deal, handing out no-trade clauses like candy that made it (financially) tough to sign talent like Iginla, poor drafting that left them with nothing in-house to replace those guys. . .he built a cup-winner but just made too many mistakes trying to sustain things.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ugly start to the Habs - Sens series last night. Subban slashes Stone, who then does a great impression of a European soccer player. Subban gets five and a game misconduct, but no subsequent suspension. Sens players, including Stone, try to mix it up after the game. Ottawa coach threatens to injure a Habs player in retaliaion, yet no fine is levied. This series could get really ugly.

Meanwhile, rumors are that Pacioretty will miss at least the next two games. He is still recovering from concussion symptoms from a hit into the boards versus the Panthers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Red Wings go with the rookie goalie Mzarek instead of Jimmy Howard in Game 1, and it pays off big. I liked the choice, but then again I think Howard's a mediocre goaltender.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Wings were outshot 14-46 and won 3-2. Amazing. I'll take it, but they've got to even that out a bit.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Edmonton once again wins the NHL Draft lottery, and thereby wins the Connor McDavid sweepstakes. McDavid was interviewed on CBC right after the lottery. Give the kid credit -- he didn't show disappointment in being sent to the Siberia of the NHL, where top prospects go to die. This will be the 4th time in the last 6 years that Edmonton's had the top overall pick, and they have yet to make the playoffs. I was hoping this talented young player would get sent anywhere but to the Oilers.

BTW, McDavid's Erie Otters are facing the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds right now in the OHL playoffs, and McDavid is facing his future team mate -- Greyhounds star defenseman Darnell Nurse. He was the 7th overall pick in the 2013 draft by Edmonton. An organization has to be really incompetent to have all these high draft picks and still suck year after year.

EDIT: I forgot to mention one additional twist to this situation. Erie fans are especially pissed that McDavid is going to Edmonton, as the Otters owner Bassin had recently filed for bankruptcy, and a large part of that reason is due to a large, highly questionable loan that was provided to him by Oilers owner Katz. The situation is quite ugly, as Katz used the loan to try and blackmail Bassin into selling him the Otters franchise. When Bassin refused, Katz called the loan in, which forced Bassin to file for bankruptcy. The franchise is up for sale now, and there is a possibility it could be relocated as part of the sale. So, you can image how hated Katz and the Oilers are in Erie, PA.

Here are a few shots I took of McDavid at the Plymouth Whalers final home game last month... before he was sent to Siberia. ;)

451A1988-XL.jpg

451A2032-XL.jpg

451A2049-XL.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wow, in a time span of about a minute in the 3rd period, the Wings went from taking control of the series to probably losing it. A 2-0 lead evaporated quickly, and Tampa won quickly in overtime. Things sure can change fast in the playoffs!

Hopefully the Habs wrap things up tonight. Everyone except Price played like absolute crap in Game 4 -- one of the most boring playoff games in recent memory.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Oilers have hired former Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli to oversee all hockey operations. Considering the mess Edmonton's front office has been for years, this move can only help the woeful franchise. Chiarelli will need to do a lot of house cleaning, especially with the scouting department.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Scott Merryfield said:
Wow, in a time span of about a minute in the 3rd period, the Wings went from taking control of the series to probably losing it. A 2-0 lead evaporated quickly, and Tampa won quickly in overtime. Things sure can change fast in the playoffs!

Hopefully the Habs wrap things up tonight. Everyone except Price played like absolute crap in Game 4 -- one of the most boring playoff games in recent memory.
And I'm still in a bad mood because of it...

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes, we can. Montreal just needs to get one more. Seems like they ought to be able to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks