What's new

2007-2008 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Arod just basically issued a public mea culpa in which he confirms he has reached out to the Yankees and the Steinbrenner family. It should be interesting to see how these contract negotiations proceed from here, but I expect him back as a Yankee. As I stated earlier, I have no ill feelings towards Arod and will never fault a man from trying to maximize his earnings potential.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3109894

Crawdaddy

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Last year with Matsuzaka, arguably - he was looking to get twice what he did.

I also suspect that this works in Boras's & A-Rod's favor, in terms of dealing with other teams - that in order to get a big deal with another team, the Yankees need to be part of the equation. Up until yesterday, it basically looked like the Angels were the only suitor; now they have two big wallets to play against each other.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason,
I think it's past that type of negotiation strategy. I doubt another team jumps in at this point.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
it'll be interesting to see what kind of opt-out powers each side will have for this contract:)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
a while back there was talk that Santana might get traded to the Yanks. without Clemens and Petite, they NEED a star pitcher... though Chamberlain would be a big price to pay.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
As an Angel fan, I was really hoping they would get ARod. If he does indeed go back to New York, I suppose LAA would have to get involved in the Cabrera talk. And I still contend that a mid-range 1-year deal with some incentives to Bonds would be a worthwhile addition (assuming he would take it of course).

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

I agree he plays well during the season but he still chokes in the post. Also with his "I am a star" attitude he doesn't help to create a team atmosphere. With the Sox they have had that machine like team feel for their last two World Series victories.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He didn't always struggle during the playoffs and anybody that has watched baseball for any length of time knows that a player of his caliber will breakout again in the playoffs.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Looks like A Rod agreed to a 10 yr deal worth 275 million.

Catcher Yorvit Torreabla agreed to a 3 yr deal worth 14.4 million with the Mets.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

Was Boras fired? I thought it was against the CBA for a player to negotiate with ownership if the player had an agent.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No, he wasn't fired just told to sit in the corner and give legal advice when asked to while the Yankees, Goldman Sachs (majority partner in YES Network) and Arod workout a deal in which all parties can make a bundle of money in the next ten years. As a baseball fan, I can't quantify the reasoning behind the Yankees giving Arod this big of a contract after Arod opts out and comes back with his hat in his hand. However, I bet you the financial/marketing experts for the Yankees and the YES network can. Also, the Bonds headlines today just made Arod value go up even further for them.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
My guess is that this offer was similar to what they were going to offer him before he opted out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Probably similar, yes. Which makes the loss--to the Yankees--of the Ranger money--all that much more mystifying. I wonder if the Yankees will be able to "hold that against him" as it pertains to the final deal in any way?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike,
From what I read on this situation which is alot, the Yankees were going to offer him up to 29-30M for those seven extended years. Furthermore, there was an escalation clause for the remaining three years of the original contract in which the salaries for 2009 & 2010 would've increased for those two seasons. I remember the final value for the 3 years plus 7 extended years would've been 300M.

This new contract calls for an average base salary of 27.5M per season with much of the salary backloaded. Also, we don't know how much money might be defer which is another way Arod could save the Yankees some money. Somehow, someway, I think both parties got what they wanted and something they can live with.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So I guess A-Rod takes a bit of a hit for opting out. Thanks, Robert.

And why do I think Boras had a much more active part in orchestrating this whole thing than all parties are admitting? ;)

He's still going to have a tough road ahead of him as the "highest paid player." The public and press will always look at him differently because of that...and that, I think, is what gets into his head. The expectations for him are just, well, different.

I was amazed that the Daily News a couple of days ago--on its front cover--mocked the letter A-Rod released with his wife about the strong foundation they had in New York which was leading to their return. They, instead, insinuated that there were likely 275 million other reasons which were contributing to their return.

Such a talented player, but it seems like everything he does is a public relations nightmare.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even agents as great as Boras make mistakes from time to time. He screwed up in this situation and there's no way of getting around that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks