What's new

2 albums to discuss / recommend (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
1. DJ Shadow- Entroducing
A number of people, including some on this forum, have recommended this one. I picked up Private Press- I thought it was OK, but it didn't really grab me. I only got that one first because it was the only one I saw in a store and have simply not felt up to ordering on-line lately. This weekend, however, I came across Entroducing.
I am in love with this record. Now I know what the big deal about it is. It's different than what I expected- I knew it involved intricate layering of records, but I assumed that it would be dense. Quite the opposite- it's very ambient, melodic, and uses space well. It kind of sounds like what Mobey would be if he were interesting.
That second track just kills me. "Ah-AH-ah ah..."
Note: No posts about how this is (c)rap (hardy-har-har, putting a 'c' in front of it! Ho-ho, it is too laugh :rolleyes:) or how rap is evil. I would like to have a couple of posts about something hip-hop related that isn't insulting and condescending. Thank you.
2. David Sylvian / Robert Fripp, The First Day
Ok, yes, I'm a King Crimson obsessive fan-boy, so of course I'd like something with Fripp on it, right? Actually, I don't like all of his solo and side projects (I never could get into his Exposure album, which sounds dated to me, and his ambient music ranges from gorgeously sublime to dreadfully boring). Yes, I picked this one up only because it had Fripp.
However, this is easily my favorite thing outside of King Crimson Fripp is done that I have heard (including ambient music, eg Frippertronics and Soundscapes, Sunday All Over the World, The Robert Fripp String Quartet, League of Gentlemen, etc). This is mostly due to the fact that The First Day introduced me to the unique and remarkable talent of David Sylvian.
Sylvian is a singer / instrumentalist / songwriter who was in some group called Japan that I never heard. He has a number of solo albums. After hearing The First Day, I picked up his Secrets of the Beehive. Low-key but interesting songs with tasteful and elegant arrangements. Excellent stuff! His singing voice is very smooth and low, like a crooner.
The great thing about The First Day is that it combines two seemingly opposite styles: Sylvian's penchant for space and lyricism and Fripp's infamous pull towards density, mathematical spider-like cross picking guitar lines, and layered sound. The result is a wonderful melding of the two, where each uses their maturity as professional musicians to find a middle ground. It sounds completely devoid of ego. This is a pop record, and a damn fine one at that!
God's Monkey and Jean the Birdman are pop/light-funk groovers. The combo of Fripp laying down his unique accessible yet intricate guitar lines with Sylvian crooning on top is a real pleasure to hear. The highlight for me is the 17 minute workout Darshan, which features the band laying down a groove, Sylvian throwing in some hip yet sparse vocals, and Fripp doing some sick layering of English funk riffs and ambient Frippertronics.
This is really good driving music, too.
Even folks who consider "prog rock" and "King Crimson" to be dirty words should find this to be an enjoyable record.
I've had this for a while now, but this weekend I picked up their live album Damage. While it's great, too, I figured I'd recommend the studio album first, since it has Darshan.
NP: DJ Shadow, Endtroducing

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Just to say, there isn't actually any rapping on Entroducing... either so it would make someone look oh-so-silly if they were to try.
Entroducing is one of my top 10 albums:
OK Computer, Bringing It All Back Home, Abbey Road, Oedipus Schmoedipus (Barry Adamson), Hunky Dory, In Utero, The Empire Strikes Back :D, being some of the others (today - and I only let in one album per artist in such a listing!!)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK Mike, I picked up the DJ Shadow disk tonight at your recommendation and I must say I dig the music. I've always thought from the jist of your posts that we had similar tastes and I've always given you the benefit of the doubt. (although I've never heard King Crimson, I must admit).

I really like this disk. I find it to be just the kind of atmospheric, kick back and chill disk that I was looking for (also trying to get into some Massive Attack too).

However, my concern is with the sound quality. I have yet to hear it on my main system (have only listened in the bedroom and in the car), but the recording on this one seems kinda flat...not that dynamic. Do you experience anything of the sort? It almost seems 2 dimentional. I will post further once I listen on my main setup.

Good recommendation though...definately a winner.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
However, my concern is with the sound quality. I have yet to hear it on my main system (have only listened in the bedroom and in the car), but the recording on this one seems kinda flat...not that dynamic. Do you experience anything of the sort? It almost seems 2 dimentional. I will post further once I listen on my main setup.
May be down to the source as it all comes off old vinyl records - I believe Shadow travelled the world looking for various stuff. I think that's why it lacks a certain high-end...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
(although I've never heard King Crimson, I must admit).
That's OK, we all have our faults. ;) :)
As for the fidelity on Endtroducing... I must admit, despite my interest in high-res and stuff, I usually don't notice that kind of thing. :b I also have not heard it on my home system (though I plan to) and have only used headphones at work. Theo's explanation makes sense to me- these are some obscure records, so God only knows how the source material sounded.
Now your next purchase has two be The First Day ;)
You mentioned Massive Attack. I've heard of them and have been interested in checking them out. I'm usually not into electronic music, but a lot of people with varying tastes seem to like them and I understand they influenced Marillion in recent years, which is interesting because they sound better now then they ever did.
NP: Thelonious Monk, Town Hall Concert

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I'm usually not into electronic music
Massive Attack are not technically electronic music, are they? I believe the 'Trip-Hop' sound is more sample-based so has more 'warmth' than electronic stuff, in the main.
Shoot me down in flames if you must!! :D

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Theo, I think you are spot on with your assessment. I wouldn't characterize Massive Attack as electronic at all. It's actually hard to describe. Highly recommended though. A friend exposed me to them a while back and I really liked what I was hearing but have yet to get a chance to pick up one of their albums.

They were mentioned heavily here in a thread a while back that discussed "chillin" music.

I've heard the DJ Shadow on my main system. Sounds MUCH better. Still not top notch, but I really don't care. The album is really my cup of tea.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
One more thing. Has anybody heard the main sample in track 8? It used to be used (maybe still is) as the sound effect to the VH1 Insomniac Music Theater. I wonder where it comes from.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Okay, I'll be the first to bite on Sylvian/Fripp... I bought this album back when it was new (what? 8? 9 years ago?) and liked it. But, it got very tedious and I ended up selling it in a CD collection purge a year or two later.

I haven't heard it since, but in those days I'd buy anything with a member from any band I liked then: the prog giants, namely Yes, Crimson, Genesis (yes, I bought some rather dodgy albums back then).

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Massive Attack are not technically electronic music, are they? I believe the 'Trip-Hop' sound is more sample-based so has more 'warmth' than electronic stuff, in the main.
I agree. I would recommend Massive Attack to anybody... it's warm, soulful and even socially relevant.. The Massive Attack box is a wonderful heat-sensitive box which changes from dark brown to white if exposed to heat. (OT sorry)
It's really refreshing to see someone recommending Sylvian and DJ Shadow at the HTF. Not to say there's anything wrong with prog (which I like a lot) but it's sometimes nice to see a little variety.
Not my intention to hijack this thread, but for anyone who likes DJ Shadow, Massive attack, et al.. might I suggest Faithless? There first album, Reverence (preferably the two disc version) and their second full length LP are both masterworks of trip-hop/soul IMO. Maxi Jazz and Rollo have also embarked on numerous other projects which are all worth checking out if you have the time. Faithless also has some very new material out which I have yet to hear.
Other groups I recommend for those who have an ear for intricate prog-type music with a trancey, electronic edge: Slint, Spring Heel Jack, Tortoise... and so many others.
Thanks for the recommendations Mike!
~joseph

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I'll check out that DJ Shadow recommendation. I just picked up a couple of new ones last night. I bought Paul Van Dyk's..Out There and Back and Journeys by DJ..70 mintues of madness.

So far I've been diggin both of these albums.

One album I would highly recommend to people would by DJ Logic's...The Anamoly. It is a great record. Check it out if you can.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
This is a very stupid question... but what is "trip-hop?" Is it like ambient music based on hip-hop?
I'm extremely out of touch with pop culture. Who can keep up with these crazy kids these days? :)
I'm glad people enjoy the DJ Shadow. However, the Sylvian / Fripp is the better album of the two! ;) Get that one.
Joseph, I'll keep an eye out for those recommendations. Thanks.:emoji_thumbsup:
NP: Jethro Tull, Living With the Past

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I can't describe trip-hop easily as I don't really know how!! Essentially Portishead and Tricky represent some of the original 'trip-hoppers'. Ambient sort of hip-hop is probably the best description, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks