What's new

16:9 enhanced mode with prog. scan (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Hello all,

I currently have a 4:3 Sony 43HT20 43" RP HDTV that has 16:9 enhanced mode. I was using an old Sony dvd player non-prog. scan set to 16:9 to kick in the 16:9 enhanced mode on the tv and it looked pretty good and had the correct aspect ratio. I just purchased the Denon 1600 prog. scan dvd player and was wondering if the 16:9 enhanced mode is compatible with prog. scan? If I set the dvd palyer to 16:9 mode and turn on the progressive button on the front of the unit, it automatically turns my 16:9 enhanced mode in the tv OFF. I thought I had a grasp on the whole aspect ratio, but now Im not too sure.

1) Should I still leave the dvd player in 16:9 mode, or change it 4:3 or even 4:3 letterbox?

2) Does the tv 16:9 enhanced mode work with prog. scan?

3) The 1600 manual is a little vague, but am I actually tuning prog. scan on and off with the progressive button on the front of that unit?

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for with my searches. Any insight to this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also posted in audio/video source forum.

Phil

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
For your specific TV, progressive scan may or may not trip the auto 16x9 enhanced feature. On my newer sony direct view, the auto 16x9 squeeze feature does work fine with progressive scan from my panasonic cp72.

1) If you have a 16x9 enhanced mode on your TV you should always leave the DVD player set to output 16x9.

2) Yes, it does work. Wether it does it automatically or you have to set it to on manually depends on your set.

3) If the Denon is really like the panasonic units, you may have to set progressive to on in the set up menu as well as the button on the front of the unit.

It all comes down to it your TV will auto squeeze a progressive signal or not. If not just do it manually.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I checked it out and it looks like the progressive scan does not automatically kick in the enhanced mode on the tv. Whats strange is, my normal choice in the tv menu for enhanced mode is either ON or AUTO. When I have the progressive output on, the choices change to ON or OFF and it defaults to OFF. Looks like I'll have to set it manually each time.

Phil

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Philip,

My widescreen Sony will automatically switch to Full on an anamorphic interlaced signal, but not with anamorphic progressive scan--the equivalent to what your set's doing, I have to manually select Full for progressive scan input.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Philip, your analysis of the situation is correct. I have been using the Sony 43HT20 for over a year and a half now, and one of the quirks of this line of TV's is that the 16:9 squeeze will not kick in automatically when using progressive scan. You will get used to this pretty quickly, and it will become second nature to put the 16:9 mode on manually. Of course, if you have a programmable remote, you can set up a macro to do this automatically. But don't change any settings in the DVD player. Everything else works the same. Hope you are enjoying the 43HT20. I have been 100% happy with this TV, and it has been an outstanding performer for regular cable, DVD's and HDTV. My only regret is that I didn't buy the 53" version, but the 43" is still plenty big.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey R,

Okay, now I know I'm not loosing my mind, thanks for the confirmation on that. I'm sure I can get use to the quirk, hopefully the wife can too, but she probabaly wont care one way or the other. Other than this little quirk, I love the set. I cant believe how good the picture is for a RPTV.

Just to make sure I got this straight, I will leave the dvd output set to 16:9 with progressive scan on, then manually set the tv to 16:9 enhanced mode.

Thanks again.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks