What's new

120 GB HDD suddenly shows up as 37.2 GB in Windows (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ok, sorry about that last, but I wasn't positive.

One more suggestion - instead of typing in 'fdisk' return, try this one out.
'fdisk /mbr' & return. It resets the Master Boot Record. If that doesn't do it, I'd take all of the important stuff off of that and do a format, and you may want to get the instructions on doing a low level format on that thing, or toss it.

Glenn

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I just tried 'fdisk /mbr' but it had no effect. When I typed 'fdisk /?', the '/mbr' switch wasn't listed as an option. The only switches listed were '/status' and '/x'.

EDIT: I just read here that the /mbr switch is undocumented, and that it's normal for it not to show up when typing 'fdisk /?'.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
So what does your bios list the hard drive as? Just go ahead and post everything relaed to the hard drive that you can find in bios.

On some thought about a cause, has the computer undergone any upgrades? Has it been moved? Is there a user who has a temper? anything at all may be of help.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

This is from the bios
Code:

Type Size Cyls Head Precomp Landz Sector Mode
 User 40018 4865 255 0 16382 63 LBA

And this is from a Western Digital diagnostic tool
Code:

Model Number Serial Number
 WDC WD400BB-00AUA1 (IDE) WD-WMA6R23930

Now that I have the model number, I was able to find this page about the drive.

Code:

Recommended Setup Parameters
 Cylinders: 16383
 Heads: 16
 Sectors/Track: 63
 Landing Zone: 16383
 WPC: 16383

I'm going to try changing the BIOS to match these settings. I don't think anyone messed around in the BIOS, though. (Perhaps a problem with the battery.) I'll post again after I see if this works or not.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just had a closer look at the specifications on Wester Digital's site about the drive, and it says it's a 40GB drive! I'm going to open the computer and see if the model number on the drive matches the model number that the WD Diagnostic tool is giving me and see if they match.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had a chance to open this computer yet. Until then, I'm going to assume that I was just remembering the HDD's storage capacity inaccurately.

Thanks for helping anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks