What's new

$110 For What You Guys' Recomend... (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Right now I have $110 as a bonus to where I work. Now I have a delima that I need you guys' to help me with...Should I:

Buy brand new cables for my componets all the way around? (i.e. optical for CD player, 2 s-video, Monster Z Bass, and Componet Video for DVD)

or

A few DVD's...I could prolly get around 5-6 DVD's that I want...

So help me out guys', what would you go for???

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
You didn't mention that you were having any problems with your existing cabling! if not, spend it on something new; if you are having problems, describe them and maybe someone can help you out.

AbelM

Second Unit
Nah, I wasn't having any problems, but I have had this cabling for the past 2 years, and thought it would be time to get rid of it...no? Plus right now I don't have an optical for CD or componet for DVD...

Legairre

Supporting Actor
How about a nice remote to control everything. I use a Sony RM-AV2100. Goes for $179.00, but I got mine for $99.00 online. It's no Pronto, but it does the job of controlling everything I have real well.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Either DVD's, or bank it until you get some more money, and then go get something which will show a noticeable difference in sound.

Martin.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Things I'd look at are..
1) refurbished pronto from www.jandr.com (you have to call them to get the $129 price)
2) A nice set of cables for the critical components...ie a set of high quality component cables or some analog cables for the CD player etc. For cables I'd recomend you look at bettercables.com or Link Removed both have top notch cables (or see for sale forum for some deals on component cables from both companies)
3) a bunch of DVD's
4) take the wife/SO/girlfiend out for night on the town or buy her jewelry...consider it "money in the bank" for your next major upgrade ;)

KrisM

Second Unit
So are we recommending stereo products or a nice cabernet? I've always been a fan of Wolf Blass products.:)
KrisM

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
How about a pair of Aura Bass Shakers mounted to your couch or chair? They are pretty fun & you can get a pair for about $40.

I agree with the post regarding cables...particualarly video cables. If you don't currently use componenet then you're missing out. One tip, however: when you use component cables you will get more color saturation on that input. You will need a tv that has a memory for each input so you can set the color / tint for each one. Or, you'll need a dvd player that can adjust color / tint. With this set up you can calibrate your tv through the S or Composite input first, then calibrate your component using the dvd color adjustments. Or, you'll need to write down the color / tint settings for normal viewing, then write down the settings for component viewing & manually switch back & forth.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You will need a tv that has a memory for each input so you can set the color / tint for each one.
That is actually my favorite feature of the WEGAs. I don't know what the intent was for multiple settings, but I am using them for different sources - "STD" for cable, "Movie" for DVD via component and "Sports" for PS2. Each calibrated with it's own settings. I don't use the 4th one.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If you are not using a digital connection (coax or optical) from your DVD player to your receiver, get a cable for that. There is no sonic difference between optical and coax unless you have ground loop problems. Personally, I'd get the DVDs (or the Pronto)...

Bruce N

Second Unit
Not sure if you already have them but a very basic suggestion would be Avia and a Radio Shack SPL meter. You should still have some money left over for one or two DVDs.
If you want Video Essentials, I'd wait 'til the new version is released later this year.
Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks