What's new
World Wide Stereo

1080p lcd/lcos projectors? Buyers? Owners? Shootouts? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hey folks. Just checking in with the HTF crowd regarding the 1080p lcd/lcos projectors. Is anybody the proud owner of one of these babies? And we need a shootout:

Mitsubishi HC5000 vs Epson TW1000 vs JVC DLA-RS1u vs Sony Pearl vs Panasonic AE1000

Anybody looking to one of these for their next projector ?

:)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
There's a shootout with a few of those at Projectorcentral.com. And a couple have been reviewed at Projectorreviews.com.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I saw that. No Epson in that shootout. I guess I will just be waiting until more people get the JVC and Epson, along with more folks picking up the Mitsubishi and Panasonic. Looking forward to a cine4home review of the Epson and potential shootouts. Anybody here upgrading?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member

If that is true, it doesn't say too much about the contrast and black levels then. I don't care too much about the 1080 resolution. It's nice because I can sit closer and/or have a bigger screen without screen door, but my main interest is an improvement in contrast and black levels.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Chris, I think you'd be wasting your money on a 1080p projector if your "main interest is an improvement in contrast and black levels". To me, the 1080p projectors are still way too expensive. That's why I bought a 720p projector about a month ago, the Mits. HD1000, and I love it. The only benefit with a 1080p projector is if you use it with a HD-DVD player or Blu-ray HD player. There will not be any 1080p broadcasts for many years.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm sure there are more benefits than just HD DVD or Blu-Ray on these 1080p projectors....those reviews marvel at the clarity when given a HD source. The price is higher than the 720p models for sure but look at what it was last year....these will come down this year and probably by 2008 we'll have stellar quality 1080p units close to $2500.

I would love to read about a shootout with folks here on the HTF. Not sure how many members here are really in to front projection though.

It would be cool to follow though. :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member

True, that's why I am waiting to see one in action. For the time being I am doing some serious masking in my theatre and potentially looking at using screen material other than blackout material. As far as improving the contrast and black levels, I would have to calibrate with something like Colorfacts or Smart and/or use a filter to max contrast/black levels. I can live with what I have, but some dvd's really look less than spectacular in terms of black levels and contrast and I wish I could get better. The JVC is just too much money for me now. I could get an Epson TW1000 for around $3500-$4000-ish CDN (minus what I sell my Hitachi for), or I could pay almost 75% more and get the JVC. Can't afford it. I am hoping to see the Mitsubishi in action, and hopefully I can see the Epson in action too and then I will have a better idea. Would love to compare the Epson to my TX200.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Apparantly sde isn't an issue with the 1080p lcd's either. I know it's barely noticable with my 720p lcd so I imagine it should be better with a 1080p lcd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarinyanaka
Recent bookmarks