What's new

1080p LCD 37"-40" Sharp! Samsung! Westinghouse??? (1 Viewer)

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
hello!!

okay now i have decided on going 37" up to 40" (not all 40s fit in the dimension restrictions i have) but i now know that i want 1080p and i want to be around 1500 or so for the unit...

i have been eyeing the 37" Sharp LC-37d90u and a 40" Samsung model that i can't remember the model number right off hand (anyone can help with that?)

i went to Circuit City today and looked at the Aquos lc-37d40u and it did not look nearly as good as the "comparable" Samsung ln-s4051d...maybe it was the setup?

but i also saw somewhere that Westinghouse has a 1080p unit...has anyone seen it? is it i nice screen that can compare visually to the sharp and samsung??

the sony xbr 1080p looked great but out of the picture due to price...

also what is contrast rate? i've seen low 600: and some at 6000:1...seems like a huge differnece but i didn't really pay attention to it before but what exacty does it mean???

thanks!!!

chris rick

Second Unit
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't even spend my money on 1080p at that size. IMO and in my experience, you will simply not be able to tell a huge difference between a well fed 720p signal and a 1080p signal at such a small image size. I would look at something 720p and heck, there are even some native 720p projectors (if that is possible for you) that fall around that price range. In all I've ever seen, 1080p should be viewed on something 50" or larger to fully appreciate its difference over 720p.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
okay and another thing too, will 37" be sufficient for a room that is 14x20...my "viewing area" will be about 8 ft from the screen...i think 8 feet max, i'd have to measure to be sure...

i wish there was a way to see the difference...i don't know how they have them set up at the store...

what is a good way to get a "well fed signal" feed???

also a few more questions...if i were to go with a full 1080p i would need a 1080p player?? would a 1080p player make a diff on the 780p screen??? i am trying to get a nice clear picture that will last me so that i don't go to CC and see something i want more...later on i will look at the bigger screens and use this one a bedroom moniter but for now i want something CRYSTAL clear! (get it! HA!)

this is mostly for DVD's...i don't have HDMI on my receiver so i am assuming to get the most out of the equipment either way i go would have to upgrade my Yamaha unit to include HDMI???

sorry so many questions but honestly i trust the opinion of true enthusiast over the regular CC employee's...

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
okay down to 3 models...if 720p for 37"-40" is going to be as sharp as it gets then that would definitely save me some money!

Maybe that extra 3" at 720p will sparkle like i need it to! Plus 40" will fill the space perfectly (heat an issue?)...

still how does it work coming from the dvd player? will a 1080p model such as the samsung improve on the picture even on a 720p??

also still confused on the contrast ratio...

i am looking at three specific models...

Sharp 37" LC37D40U
1300:1 contrast ratio

Samsung 40" LNS4051D
4000:1 contrast ratio

Samsung 40" LNS4092D
5000:1 contrast ratio

The Sharp has such a low number compared to the Samsung models..what does that mean???

Thanks!!

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
FWIW, I just got a 42" Samsung Plasma (HP-S4253) last week and I have been really, really happy with it. It's "only" 720p, but I gotta admit, the picture is great (10,000:1 contrast ratio). I have seen online prices for $1,579 or so (I got mine for a bit more from the local store with a service plan but hey).

I'm also using the Oppo 970HD DVD player to upconvert to HDTV...it is supremely awesome...

I am a little uneasy with what I have heard about Westinghouse, to be honest. I heard that it's not really the true brand, just some Chinese company that bought the name. Not sure...

Also, I agree, when you are talking about a set that is smaller than 50", I don't think the 1080p or 1080i really matters all that much. Most of TV is broadcast at 720p, right? Everything I have read while researching seems to suggest that if you are going BIG, then you can get a chance to see what's what with 1080.

I thought this site was good: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html?tag=eye

and this page might be useful for you: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137...html?tag=today

good luck!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Corey

The Westinghouse LVM-42W2 is the pick of the litter in reasonably priced 40 inch LCD according to the just released Consumer Reports.

The exact Samsung (third on your list) is the lowest rated of all. Sharp did not fare well either.

You can order the Westinghouse through Amazon or J&R Music, for $1549 plus shipping.

I will try to answer specific questions if you have any.

PS

Samsung did not do well in LCD or Plasma. We will have to wait a month to see about DLP.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator

Okay so Contrast ratio isn't that big of a deal...it just suprised me at the difference in the numbers...okay well the Westinghouse being a 42" is a half inch too wide to fit in the opening that i have for it...i don't count it out though if it's the best b/c i can always get a new center or wall mount...

what about the Sony's how did they do? i mean i see a few sony's such as the kdl-40s2000 and it's very reasonably priced and seems to be pretty decent??

i am going to try and pick that consumer report mag up at lunch today...

one more thing (can't promise it will be the last!)...what is the way to get the best signal? i was looking at the samsung DVD-HD860 (or the 960 if the 1080p signal would make any difference on a 720p or the westinghouse?)...but actually i heard from a few reviews that they weren't that great...i just cannot afford a Blu-ray.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur,
i didn't make it out on my lunch to get the consumer report but i will certainly after work...

i did see your post that had them listed as followed...

LCD 40>
1) Sony Bravia KDL-V40XBR1
2) JVC LT-40X787
3) Sony Bravia KDL-40S2000
4) Westinghouse LVM-42W2
7) Sharp Aquos LC-45D40U
8) Samsung LN-S4092D

and since i can find that Sony Bravia unit (KDL-40S2000) for LESS than the Westinghouse (which wouldn't fit where i need it to) i have pretty much decided on the Sony!!!

Besides i have always been a pretty big Sony fan and have the Wega's in the house now...I do like the gloss like black finishes of some of the others but oh well the picture is my main concern!!!

What do you think?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

After living with the Westinghouse LTV-37w2 for a little over 2-weeks, I can see why Consumer Reports likes Westinghouse!!! After Calibrating the Video with Digital Video Essentials, the PQ is surprisingly clear, sharp , the colors very dynamic, accurate and the contrast (1,000:1) is amazing for an LCD and adequate enough to provide blacks in the picture giving the scenes some depth and punch!!! -- comparing vs. my 1080p 56" Toshiba 56HM195 DLP where the contrast / blacks are superior of course, but , ...the Westinghouse is not in the same room and I don't find myself wishing I was watching the 56HM195 when I'm watching the LTV-37w2!!! LCD technology has come a long way! :emoji_thumbsup:

Check out some of my digital images. The first four CH 117-1 - ABC HD news is before video calibration.

"The Phantom of the Opera" HD DVD 1080i from my Toshiba HD-A1 player :D (by the way TrueHD 5.1 sounds GLORIOUS!!! NOTE: "Batman Begins" raises the TrueHD 5.1 bar w/pristine VC-1 1080p movie transfer
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
) and CH 117-1 - ABC HD news images is after Calibrating the Video w/DVE!

I'm super pleased with the HD TV broadcast (NCIS, The UNIT, CSI - all flavors & Numb3rs, etc.), HD DVDs (especially "Batman Begins) and SD DVDs (especially X-Men: The Last Stand - upconverted = 1080i) PQ is outstanding and I feel that 1k was well spent! ;)

Seating distance = 7.5'

Phil

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Well, the Westinghouse is 1080p and that Sony is not, so if you have something that can output 1080p then you should (in theory) get better results from the Westinghouse with that particular source. However, as others have mentioned, at this screen size it is unlikely you'll see the difference between 720p and 1080p.

If it were me I would wait for about 6-8 months to see where prices go on HD-DVD and BR and make a decision at that time.

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
i am actually still on the FENCE!!! it's going to be either the WestingHouse 37" or the 42" is possible with the cost but i'd have to change the entertainment stand that i am currently using... or the Sony!!!

I really need to see how big of a difference the 37" is from the 42" and also the screens set up!

this for me is a difficult choice! LOL...

i am just hearing nothing but good about the WestingHouse product which i honestly thought would be crap.

edit: Also!!! for a viewing distance of about 8 feet is it beneficial to spend the extra 400-500 dollars for the 42"??? how is it measured and how much MORE screen area does the 42" have over the 37"???

it is so difficult to tell in the stores for me as to what it will look like at home..i am going to stop by BB after work to browse...i hope to pull the trigger on something this weekend!!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Auditioning them in person will help, but when you consider the mechanical 16x9 physical size vs. viewing distances, and couple that INFO with the fact that this is your Main HDTV, ... I'd say the extra $$ is worth the 42" HDTV @ your seating distance of 8'.

The following is from Link Removed

37 inch 16:9 Set
4:3 (1.33:1) NTSC mode

16:9 (1.78:1) native mode
- Your viewing area is 32.2 in(w) x 18.1 in(h)
- Total viewing area is 582.82 sq in.
- This utilizes the full display of the 16:9 TV
------------------------------------------------------------

42 inch 16:9 Set
4:3 (1.33:1) NTSC mode [29.3% larger]

16:9 (1.78:1) native mode [29.4% larger]
- Your viewing area is 36.6 in(w) x 20.6 in(h)
- Total viewing area is 753.96 sq in.
- This utilizes the full display of the 16:9 TV

See website for other more INFO.

Have fun deciding,

Phil

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
No problem Arthur S! Glad to assist you with all your lastest contributed INFO!!! :) (especially the Consumer Report thread)

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks