What's new

101 Guide to Asian Cinema (1 Viewer)

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Jim:

I would recommend Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust over the original Vampire Hunter D. Both are excellent movies, but Bloodlust came out recently, and has a good 5.1 track, IIRC.

John.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree with john -

i'd take vampire hunter d: bloodlust over the original any day. while the original has a good storyline, the animation (at least for region-1) is terrible. the colors bled, everything was soft and grainy, etc. vampire hunter d was so bad that i ended up selling the dvd - which is something i almost never do.

bloodlust on the other hand also has a decent story, but the animation was light-years ahead. very clean and nice soundtrack. at least for me (and i know i do prefer the "newer" anime style) bloodlust was a much better dvd to watch.

Rodd Sato

Grip
Just saw Stephen Chiau's "God of Cookery". Hilarious!

My only beef with these Asian releases are the subtitles.

phat dinh

Auditioning
Anyone know if these movies will be released on dvds?

Ninja I: Enter the Ninja - 1981

Ninja II: Revenge of the Ninja - 1983

Ninja III: The Domination - 1984

thanks

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I watched Avalon over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. It's not fast-paced like its trailer might suggest but I thought it was very well-done. I enjoyed the concept and they realized it very well.
Phat,
I'm not familiar with those titles. Are they any good?

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I would like to add that I compared the HK R3 (really R0)version of Avalon with my Japanese R2 DVD and was extremely impressed that the transfer of the HK DVD was pretty damn close (no one could really tell the difference on a 32" non anamorphic setup).

So, if you want Avalon, the HK DVD is really an excellent choice.

I also watched JSA over the weekend. EXCELLENT MOVIE! The character development and story was superb. Very thought provoking. Not an action movie, but a well scripted and acted drama.

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
Phat,
I wish they would release those movies on DVD (special treatment would be a dream):
Ninja I: Enter the Ninja - 1981
Ninja II: Revenge of the Ninja - 1983
Ninja III: The Domination - 1984
They bring back awesome 80's memories. Ninja II is the only standout, but the rest is just guilt-free cheese. :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Chris,
The HK DVD of Avalon is what I got and I thought the transfer was quite nice. I'm glad to hear it stacks up to the Japanese disc.
What did you think about the film itself?

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
What happened to the initial page of this post? I was getting ready to copy some of the titles down and the first, or initial, page is missing.:angry:

M

MaxY

Just noticed that too. I know Jim is not a member of the forum anymore and maybe for some reason they removed his post. I might still be able to get the info for you from elsewhere. If I can find it I will repost the list of movies.

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks