What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: The Lady From Shanghai (1947) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
90eccdc8-6bbf-4ad8-993a-1ef0d4687be0.png
THE ACCLAIMED ORSON WELLES CLASSIC COMES TO
4K ULTRA HD™ JULY 23RD
b9d1054c-99c4-f2ff-55c1-c90c8dcd0926.png
57fbeb57-dd45-aba2-0c61-adb588181e5b.jpg
SYNOPSIS
Baffling murders, fascinating plot twists, and remarkable camerawork all contribute to this spellbinding, time-honored film noir written, directed by, and starring Orson Welles. Hired to work on a yacht belonging to the disabled husband of femme fatale Elsa Bannister (Rita Hayworth), Michael O’Hara (Welles) is an innocent man drawn into a dangerous web of intrigue and murder.

The subject of great controversy and scandal upon its initial release, THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI shocked 1948 audiences by presenting Hayworth with her flaming red hair cut short and dyed champagne blonde. THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI is now considered vintage Welles, with his famous hall-of-mirrors climax hailed as one of the greatest scenes in cinematic history.
DISC DETAILS AND BONUS MATERIALS
4K ULTRA HD DISC

• Feature restored from the original camera negative and presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
  • English Mono
  • Special Features:
    • Commentary with Peter Bogdanovich
    • A Conversation with Peter Bogdanovich
    • Theatrical Trailer
CAST AND CREW
Screenplay and Production By: Orson Welles
Story Based on a Novel By: Sherwood King
Cast: Rita Hayworth, Orson Welles, Everett Sloane, Glenn Anders

SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 87 minutes
Rating: Not Rated
4K UHD Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 1.37:1
4K UHD Feature Audio: English, French (PAR), Spanish Mono DTS-HD MA

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Someone should tell Warner Bros. this is how you celebrate a 100th Anniversary. Release stuff instead of repackaging what has already been released.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Personally, this is more like a film that I would generally prefer to buy only via the Columbia Classics collections. However, since this is from the era I like (and most of the other films that Sony has released from the Golden Age of Hollywood have only been available via those aforementioned sets), I'm very much inclined to support this release as a day 1 in the hopes that Sony might start moving in this direction more.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Kino just release this last year, how did it revert back to Columbia that quick?
It didn't "revert." This appears to be a 4K only release. Kino only released it on Blu-ray. They did NOT get the 4K rights to this title (my impression is that they wanted them, but couldn't get them).

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Someone should tell Warner Bros. this is how you celebrate a 100th Anniversary. Release stuff instead of repackaging what has already been released.

The Maltese Falcon says hello. :)
I'd take things a little further than that, Robert. I'd argue that all the WAC Blu-ray releases say hello. After all, Warner's MPI does the restorations for both WHV and WAC, and although they might have different restoration teams/budgets for either division, they are still only allowed to have just so much nitrate on the lot at any given time (of course, this only applies to films of a certain age).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks