What's new

Disney+ Monsters at Work (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, so that was a cute, if predictable, season finale. I don't know if I ever need to revisit this series, but I like it as an extension of the Monsters universe. I don't necessarily think this particular story calls for a season 2 extension, though another side story in this universe would be welcome.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Am I the only one who didn't really like the finale? It just rubbed me the wrong way.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I found it entertaining but like Jason, I found it to be predictable in that I knew from the first episode that Tylor'd be a jokester by the end of the season. I also assume that they'll find some way to keep the MIFT crew involved next year though.

krisamarin

Grip
Real Name
Kris
I love the monster franchise, hoping for a season 2 soon! I loved how mike and sully are still in the the show after all this time!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh boy happy another season is coming but 2 years between.

It sure isn’t like the old days of tv anymore.

Clark Green

BANNED
Real Name
Clark Green
Thanks to knowing one of the key people who created this, I was honored to have one of the monsters in this series named after me. :rock:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Really happy to see this is officially coming back. It's an amusing diversion and a series I enjoyed keeping up with during season 1.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The trailer for season 2 has been released and it looks like they are also going to be airing this on Disney Channel in addition to Disney+.

Unfortunately, this doubles down on what I didn't like about the previous season finale. The revelation that other companies in town are still using scares instead of laughter minimizes the world-changing impact that Mike and Sully had in the original film. They no longer changed the way of monster life; they just changed the way one company operates. That's a big difference and a much lesser achievement than it was portrayed as in the film.

Also, it raises the question why Tylor ever went through the trouble of staying employed at Monsters, Inc. in the first season when he hated being a janitor. If other companies are still using scream power, he could have just gone to get a job as a scarer at another company the whole time. The first episode established that he broke some of Sully's all-time records while attending Monsters University. So any other company would almost certainly have hired him right away.

In that trailer, how is it that no one at Monsters University seems to be aware that Monsters, Inc. switched from scare power to laugh power? They seem surprised when Tylor corrects Professor Knight. Certainly a change like that would make the news in the monster world. Does no one at a respected college ever pay attention to the news?

Also, it is crazy that Disney is paying Mindy Kailing to be in this but won't pay her enough to reprise her role as Disgust in Inside Out 2. I know Inside Out 2 would require a bigger check because it is a theatrical sequel to a successful original rather than a streaming series, but I also think Kaling would be more valuable returning as Disgust.

Edited to replace dead YouTube link with a new working one.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
According to the Disney+ Facebook page, season 2 will air first on Disney Channel and be available on Disney+ later. This is a surprising reversal of the previous season, which was greenlit specifically for Disney+ and released there before later being repurposed on Disney Channel.

Disney+ Facebook page said:
"Knock, knock. Who's there? It's #MonstersAtWork season 2 — premiering Friday, April 5 at 8p on Disney Channel. Available May 5 on #DisneyPlus!"

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Animation Magazine has more details on the airing schedule. This confirms the move to Disney Channel as the series' initial home.

The Emmy-winning animated comedy series Monsters at Work, inspired by Disney and Pixar’s award-winning 2001 movie Monsters, Inc., returns for season two with a special two-episode premiere on Friday, April 5 (8 p.m. EDT) on Disney Channel and Disney XD. Subsequent airings will move to Saturdays, with two new episodes launching each week beginning at 10 a.m. EDT on both channels, leading up to the series’ streaming debut on Disney+ on Sunday, May 5.

www.animationmagazine.net/2024/03/breaks-over-monsters-at-work-returns-for-s2-this-spring

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The season finale aired this morning.

Has anyone else watched this season? Because no one else has posted recently.

I have some mixed feelings about the season as a whole and especially the finale. There is some good stuff in here, and the attempt to do a more serialized story was interesting. But it also messes with some significant Monsters, Inc. lore and doesn't do much to justify that. It felt like some of the character arcs weren't throughly earned either.

Overall, I thought it was OK and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is interested, but it's not special.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks