What's new

Apple TV+ Greyhound (2020) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This movie is going to be majestic when I watch it on my Apple Watch.

That's one of the reasons I was surprised at the move. Looking at the trailer, it is clearly a movie that would benefit from being seen in a theater. With no disrespect to The Lovebirds, which Paramount sold to Netflix in light of the pandemic, I doubt that it will play all that much differently on Netflix as it would in theaters. This one is a different situation.

But on the other hand, I might have had trouble with it theatrically due to my startle reflex. I have Apple TV+ free for a year because I got a Mac shortly before the pandemic hit, and this will give me something to use it for. I'll try it with my remote handy to adjust volume if it becomes problematic.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have yet to find anything I really wanted to see using the free year of AppleTV+ that came with my Mac.

This is it.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I am going to set up the Booth Bijou Garage Theater this weekend (just for my wife and I) so we can watch 'Greyhound' in a real movie theater type of atmosphere. It will be a bit of work but it's not like I don't have the spare time.

Trying to decide what we'll watch as the B movie before the main attraction. War films aren't my wife's favorite cup of tea. I might have to choose something more in the romantic comedy vein. :)

Mark

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tom Hanks is doing the (virtual) press rounds for Greyhound in advance of its release this Friday. Here's an interview with Hadley Freeman of The Guardian.

Although I share his disappointment that this wasn't able to receive a traditional theatrical release given current circumstances, I have to say I am looking forward to having a new Tom Hanks movie to watch this weekend from home.

I might have to choose something more in the romantic comedy vein.

Well, Hanks has several lighter titles to choose from if you want to make it a double feature centered around his work, which is what I would do.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Maybe I shouldn't judge until I see it, but putting over CG missiles, ships and, well, oceans is a harder sell when it's the main setting and consequences. The trailer gives no sense of genuine risk because nothing looks real.

That, and Tom Hanks looks like Captain Queeg for half of it. :D
Nothing looks real? Jeez, it looked real to me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We can all find out exactly what everything looks like on Friday (as long as you have Apple TV+.)

It's also possible that any CG might have been updated between the time the trailer came out and now. Oftentimes, early trailers come out while there is still work to be done on the film.

Remember Cats? It still looked awful and creepy, but the first trailer was even MORE awful and creepy than the final version turned out to be. Those effects were not ready for primetime when they decided to put out the first trailer.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We can all find out exactly what everything looks like on Friday (as long as you have Apple TV+.)

It's also possible that any CG might have been updated between the time the trailer came out and now. Oftentimes, early trailers come out while there is still work to be done on the film.

Remember Cats? It still looked awful and creepy, but the first trailer was even MORE awful and creepy than the final version turned out to be. Those effects were not ready for primetime when they decided to put out the first trailer.
Cats was never ready for prime time. ;)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Always concerns me when films of this type (Epic action) are less than 90 minutes without credits. Any reviews yet?

Edit: 74% at RT. Pretty Good.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
especially that nonsense where the radar is painting a "Wolf Pack" of a dozen boats or more. U-boats relied on stealth. It is ridiculous to think that they would have clustered together like that. Furthermore, with a radar signal coming back that would have meant that every one of those boats were either on the surface or had at least some part of the boat, such as a periscope, above the water surface.
All I’ll say is trailers are sometimes misleading. The film portrays U-Boat tactics accurately as far as I could tell.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I know nothing of naval warfare and procedures. My gut reaction to the film is that it was authentic.
This film could almost be referred to as a naval procedural. Little time is given to character conflict. Joe Friday would have loved the film, “Just the facts, Mam, Just the facts.” The viewer gets to see activities on the bridge as they might occur in a real battle. Even though Hank’s character is in his first passage of the Atlantic, and perhaps his first command, has no hesitation when giving commands and he is usually correct.
I’m not sure I needed to spoilerize that but thought I’d play it safe.

This is the type of film that really benefits from having an actor like Hanks. He’s achieved (some time ago) a point in his career that Stacy and I watch his movies with an attitude of “It’s Hanks, this is going to be good.”

So let me ask some questions of the naval experts here. 1) Do the U-Boats normally spend that much time on the surface? 2) Do the U-Boats normally taunt their opponents? Does one plane (all I saw) constitute air support? 3) Did the captain ever eat?

It is my recollection that early on in the North Atlantic the U-Boats had a big advantage and decimated the convoys, later on something changed to tip the advantage to the allies. Either new tactics or perhaps better sonar? I don’t remember what.

I forgot to say that there was a complaint about the trailer showing Hanks adjusting the radar to show a convoy of U-Boats in close proximity one another. That scene is not in the movie.

And finally, we enjoyed the film very much. I enjoy “The Enemy Below” very much but “Greyhound” is the opposite of the film. Very different.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, the forecast is for temps close to 100º today and tomorrow. My wife and I have thought better of our plan to set up the Garage Theater. We are going to have our "date night" movie event in front of our little 75" 4K screen. I'm preparing hot dogs for lunch plus a batch of real movie theater popcorn (not that microwave crap) in our Stir Crazy popper. We'll enjoy some snacks and sparking beverages with the popcorn while we watch a double feature.

Cast-Away-Original-movie-poster-buy-now-at-starstills__26420.1420569728.jpg

greyhoundposter.jpg

Mark

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The action in the film was good. The CG could have used some refinement but overall it looked okay to me. The main problem with the film is that it had so little to say. It was basically action pieces strung together with filler. Really, all of the actors were pretty well wasted in this film as nobody really did anything but stand around on the Bridge looking pensive. The Bridge scenes repeatedly resorted to Hank's character looking at them and them silently staring back. It left one asking what is the pont of repeatedly doing that. Was it supposed to depict them doubting his command? Who knew because no one would voice anything. They would just stare at him.

The film was emotionally bloodless I mean watch "The Caine Mutiny" then watch this film to see the difference in a film where the actors get to actually act and this film where they are all like mannequins. Hanks was rather dull in the film.

It is not a terrible film by any means but it falls far below the bar of entertaining and meaningful films such as " The Enemy Below" or "Das Boot". GREYHOUND may have been more technically accurate in its depiction of ASW tactics but it failed as an engrossing story of Men at sea and war.

2.5 anchors out of 4 in my book.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know nothing of naval warfare and procedures. My gut reaction to the film is that it was authentic.
This film could almost be referred to as a naval procedural. Little time is given to character conflict. Joe Friday would have loved the film, “Just the facts, Mam, Just the facts.” The viewer gets to see activities on the bridge as they might occur in a real battle. Even though Hank’s character is in his first passage of the Atlantic, and perhaps his first command, has no hesitation when giving commands and he is usually correct.
I’m not sure I needed to spoilerize that but thought I’d play it safe.

This is the type of film that really benefits from having an actor like Hanks. He’s achieved (some time ago) a point in his career that Stacy and I watch his movies with an attitude of “It’s Hanks, this is going to be good.”

So let me ask some questions of the naval experts here. 1) Do the U-Boats normally spend that much time on the surface? 2) Do the U-Boats normally taunt their opponents? Does one plane (all I saw) constitute air support? 3) Did the captain ever eat?

It is my recollection that early on in the North Atlantic the U-Boats had a big advantage and decimated the convoys, later on something changed to tip the advantage to the allies. Either new tactics or perhaps better sonar? I don’t remember what.

I forgot to say that there was a complaint about the trailer showing Hanks adjusting the radar to show a convoy of U-Boats in close proximity one another. That scene is not in the movie.

And finally, we enjoyed the film very much. I enjoy “The Enemy Below” very much but “Greyhound” is the opposite of the film. Very different.

The advent of ship-based radar and forward firing "Hedgehog" munitions, along with longer range air support, ended the U-boat threat. With radar, U-boats could be detected at longer range. Radar also allowed U-boats to be detected with as little as a periscope being exposed.

The U-boat tactics and taunting are probably not very accurate, but the film would have been extremely dull if all one saw was destroyers aneuvering and firing spreads of depth charges, followed by a series of underwater explosions

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks