What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Rolling Thunder -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rolling Thunder is a 1977 release via AIP. It's a classic example of a Hollywood revenge drama, which holds up moderately well today. It was shot by Jordan Cronenweth, and his work is reproduced nicely via a 4k scan of the OCN in the new Shout Select release.

While I can't speak to the perfection of color and densities, grain structure appears proper, and black levels are helped along by Dolby Vision.

The Blu-ray disc holds all of the extras - some old, some new - creating a quality package.

The initial screenwriter on the project was Paul Schrader, and with minor exceptions, I prefer his harder take on the subject. If you'd like read his draft, it can be found here:

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Worth your attention - 6.5

Slipcover rating - n/a

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Thun...1100&sprefix=rolling+thunder+4k,aps,85&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
This is going to be interesting in 4K, as the previous 1080p transfer was plagued with noise and the source wasn't exactly pristine. But the film was shot in a very rough style, with fast, wide open lenses (softer look), very low light levels, and probably Kodak 5247 was heavily pushed or printed up, so I don't expect it to look clean either even if it comes from the OCN.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Disc 2 Blu-ray holds the movie plus the extras. The question is: is the new Blu-ray an upgrade on the old Blu-ray? Thanks!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is going to be interesting in 4K, as the previous 1080p transfer was plagued with noise and the source wasn't exactly pristine. But the film was shot in a very rough style, with fast, wide open lenses (softer look), very low light levels, and probably Kodak 5247 was heavily pushed or printed up, so I don't expect it to look clean either even if it comes from the OCN.
The 4k looks fine.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Always good to slow it down when reading at a glance. For a minute there, I had thought that Criterion released an unbeknownst to me 4K of Rolling Thunder Review. Anyway, I also like Rolling Thunder (and even Tropic Thunder), so all is well with the world.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
God, the screaming in the theater when this was first released when William Devane's hand met its fate.
My first viewing of this film was at the Lyric on 42nd and yes, the audience was very vocal, enthusiastic and involved, maybe a little too much.

My second viewing was 20+ years later, at the Anthology Film Archives. When that scene arrived, there was total, reverential silence. What a difference a venue makes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks