What's new

A few words about...™ - Fletch & Fletch Lives -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Two Chevy Chase fan favorites from Kino via Universal.

Fletch (1985) and the follow-up Fletch Lives (1989). Neither is a great film, while the first is good. Fun plot and concept.

Both are derived from 2k IP scans, and look perfectly fine for Blu-ray consumption. Color, density. Everything works.

The original Blu-rays date to 2009 and 2017, so at least Fletch is bound to be a improvement for the encode.

Look for a young Geena Davis in Fletch.

Both films receive equal scores.

Both tracks are decoded from Dolby Stereo, and sound fine.

Image – 8

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from earlier Blu-rays - If you love the films

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - 1

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Fletch-Speci...3764283&sprefix=fletch+blu-ray,aps,113&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched the first film - one of my all time favorites - today on the new Kino blu-ray. It looks good, probably better than the previous blu, but the image quality isn't stunning or anything, and IMO the colors could be more vibrant.

One strange thing I noticed. I happened to watch this with the subtitles on (a habit from watching too many British television shows with my wife), and the words were often jumbled. So, for example, in a scene where two people are speaking, the subtitles jam their words together. "How did we get here, Sam? I don't know." (That's two people.) Instead of
"-How did we get here, Sam?"
"-I don't know."

A minor nit, perhaps, but something that QC should have caught.

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the film again. A great 80s comedy, and a great vehicle for Chevy Chase. It had a lot in common with Beverly Hills Cop, which came out several months earlier, not least of which was the score by Harold Faltermeyer. Great cast in the movie too - George Wendt, Joe Don Baker, Richard Libertini, Tim Matheson, Dana Wheeler-Nicholson, M. Emmet Walsh, Geena Davis, William Sanderson, George Wyner. It's got a really smart script by Andrew Bergman (The In-Laws), with perfect delivery by Chevy.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
People are always slamming the sequel, but I think it is reasonably fun as well. Neither film really wows me, but they're a good time. I do love the soundtrack to Fletch - great synthesizer stuff from Harold Faltermeyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks