What's new

The Shape of Water (2017) (Review and Discussion)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The Shape of Water (2017)

Tagline: A Fairy Tale for Troubled Times

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance

Director: Guillermo del Toro

Cast: Sally Hawkins, Doug Jones, Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Stuhlbarg, David Hewlett, Nick Searcy, Stewart Arnott, Nigel Bennett, Lauren Lee Smith, Martin Roach, Allegra Fulton, John Kapelos, Morgan Kelly, Wendy Lyon, Madison Ferguson, Jayden Greig, Deney Forrest, Brandon McKnight, Dru Viergever, Cyndy Day, Marvin Kaye, Jim Pagiamtzis, Cameron Laurie, Alexey Pankratov, Shane Clinton Jarvis, Evgeny Akimov, Dave Reachill, Matthew Mease, Amanda Smith, Maxine Grossman, Edward Tracz, Shaila D'Onofrio, Vanessa Oude-Reimerink, Sergey Nikonov, Jonelle Gunderson, Cylde Whitham, Dan Lett, Danny Waugh, Karen Glave, Diego Fuentes, Cody Ray Thompson

Release: 2017-12-01

Runtime: 123

Plot: An other-worldly story, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1962, where a mute janitor working at a lab falls in love with an amphibious man being held captive there and devises a plan to help him escape.

The-Shape-of-Water.jpg

Coming November 2017

Plot synopsis:
“An other-worldly story, set against the backdrop of Cold War era America circa 1963. A mysterious and magical journey from Guillermo Del Toro.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
What's the overunder on how hard this is going to flop considering its from Vaporware Del Toro?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Question. Is this connected to Hellboy? If not how could they get away with it?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Shape of Water opens this Friday and is currently sitting at 98% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes, with 85 reviews in (11 Top Critics).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It looks like it will be here in limited release, but I think I'm going to have a hard time getting around the Abe Sapien comparisons. The reviews ARE overwhelmingly positive though, so I'm going to see it one way or another.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
As far as I can make out, the plot is about what would happen if the Creature from the Black Lagoon was locked up in a research facility and a mute cleaning lady falls in love with him.

I don't know about you, but I much prefer the workout he got with Lori Nelson in REVENGE OF THE CREATURE (1955):

37824022105_66544f3e04.jpg

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'The Shape of Water' has received 7 Golden Globe nominations, including Best Picture-Drama, Best Actress-Drama, Best Supporting Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Director. My wife and I are going to see it today.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
This was a really interesting film. I was thoroughly entertained throughout and the performances (particularly Sally Hawkins) were superlative. I totally get why this received so many nominations and I can't argue with the Globes for picking it.

That said, it's not my favorite to win. I'd much rather see 'Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri' take home all the awards this year.

The Booth Bijou gives 'The Shape of Water' 4 out of 5 stars. WELL worth a visit to your theater to see it but be sure you are in the correct mood before you go. If your "strains credulity meter" is set on high, you might want to wait until it's set a little lower.

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Saw it today and thought it was really good but not great.

Ran a tad long for me and even early on when the previews appeared I didn’t see much that made me think he was Abe Sapien but more The Creature from the Black Lagoon and that is pretty much what he was.
Shannon may have been too much of a stereotype villain, was only me sing the long mustache for twirling.
What's the overunder on how hard this is going to flop considering its from Vaporware Del Toro?

Anyone want to translate what that post means?

Vic described it well in his post above.
I liked 3 Billboards more.

3.5 out of 5

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Enjoyed it. didn't love it. Looked at my watch a couple of times. I agree with Tony D above that I thought the Shannon character was too over the top for me. Obviously, it was intentional, but it just seemed too much.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn’t see much that made me think he was Abe Sapien but more The Creature from the Black Lagoon and that is pretty much what he was.
Definitely. This was like a fairy tale version of Creature From The Black Lagoon. I guess since he was captured, it was technically more like Revenge Of The Creature.

Michael Shannon might be my favorite actor working today and I thought he brought the right level of craziness and danger to the character in a movie where things are a little unreal.

And kudos for going for it and having them
have sex. On the surface, it seems pretty taboo but it wasn't creepy and works in the context of the movie. A couple got up and left in my theater when that happened so I'm guessing it was too much for them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Just like yesterday when I saw Three Billboards this theater was filled with grey hair and most were woman.
For the most part they were quiet but one older woman who was alone there laughed out loud a lot.
But when the first time she had her special alone time there was a few “ohhs” clearly audible. The same for the first other spoilered scene too

Was the couple who left older?

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks