What's new

Spider-Man 2 (2004) (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I realize it could take a bit of time to get the Venom storyline going, but they could still include my absolute favorite villain, Scorpion. He rules, and I love seeing him on film. Plus, as I said, his presence would also give Jameson a bigger role, which would be another great thing, and the storyline and Scorpion himself are just total awesomeness.

As of now, I don't see anything surpassing Hulk as the best comic book adaptation for me in the forseeable future, though there are several upcoming adaptations I'm very much looking forward to.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

Bold emphasis mine.

:confused: What the hell is wrong with these people?

Did he have a nasal whiney voice and were his arms folded?

Sorry, that rant came out of left field. :)

I was the only one cracking up at my showing of Spiderman when Bruce Campbell showed up. Definite kneeslapping material.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I have a question...

As much as I loved the train scene...umm...it made me wonder if I was watching Superman 5 more than Spiderman 2. When did he turn into Superman???

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

In the comic books, Spidey is always described as having "the proportionate strength of a spider". So he can lift as much as a 175 pound spider would be able to lift. In the Marvel Universe of the sixties, the only characters that were stronger than Spidey were the Hulk, Ben Grimm, and Thor. So I was glad to see a scene that showed off Spidey's amazing strength.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
RE: Spidey's apparent strength....

That question reminds me about the old marvel superhero roleplaying game. It had a series of pics showcasing Spidey's attributes. One picture showed him lifting an office chair above his head saying "No sweat." The next showed him lifting a VW Vanagon with a bit of a struggle and the last pic showed him standing near the landing gear of a 747 exclaiming "yeah right!".

I always thought that was a neat way to think of his abilities.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I saw the flick with a really good crowd, most cheered and clapped both when Bruce Campbell and Stan Lee appeared. It was just that one guy who was hell bent on ruining the night for everyone. He even stayed through the credits bitching to his friends.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
It seems a lot of people are wondering this and, although Harry told Ock not to hurt Peter and Ock didn't hear him, it's still easy to wonder.

I explained it away with two things. First, Ock doesn't really need to find Spidey to get what he wants. He could simply take it from Harry, but he knew he'd have to deal with Spidey eventually, so might as well do it on his terms.

Second, I think that, in Ock's mind, killing Spidey's buddy Peter would have almost the same effect as telling him to find him. Sure, Spidey wouldn't know where to meet Ock if Peter was dead (in Ock's mind, again), but it's pretty certain he'd come out of hiding and hunt down Ock if he killed his friend. Of course we all know that without Peter around there would be no Spidey either, but Ock doesn't know that.

As for future villains, I'm looking forward to a new Goblin, but understand why others would dislike that idea. I think having Venom would make for a great movie, but as others have said, his story absolutely requires at least two films to be done right. One film where Spidey fights some other villain, is having a lot of problems with him, gets bonded to the symbiote, defeats the villain while almost killing him, realizing the suit is turning him into a monster, and rejecting it. This film would also have to set up the back story for Brock, his hatred for Spidey before becoming Venom, etc.

In the next film Brock becomes Venom and all hell breaks loose.

Now, what to do with MJ. That's a tough call, as even the writers at Marvel have had a tough time with her since her and Pete got together. There are a few options...

- Bring in Black Cat, as someone already mentioned. Normally I don't really care for this character, but I think it could make for some good tension. I just don't want a Spidey sidekick, which they may end up turning her into.

- Kill MJ. Do the death of Gwen Stacy arc with MJ, only with Harry being the Goblin doing the killing, and MJ being the one who dies. Two problems though, it was already almost done in the first film and, after all the crap they've dropped on Pete so far, I'd like to see him catch a break. The comics have always dealt with the struggles of Peter Parker, but his life isn't always in the crapper. I'd like to see one movie with a happy-go-lucky Spidey just having a blast doing his thing while coming home every night to the woman he loves.

- Put the Peter/MJ relationship in a sort of limbo, with them being together, but not concentrating on it so much. This works in with the second option.

It's a tough call but I'm interested to see where they go from here. As it stands right now I want MJ to stick around for a while simply because when they get to Venom (and they will, eventually) I want to see the awesome classic scene from the comics where MJ is at home, Venom enters the apartment (Venom knows Pete's Spidey right off the bat), MJ thinks it's Pete, and Venom scares the living shit out of her.

At least with MJ now in the know it'll be easier for Pete to get his costumes fixed (she's always been helpful with that in the comics). Of course, he seem to be extremely handy with a needle and thread already.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

As long as they don't have that Spider-Slayer with Jamesons's huge face on the screen. :D

Hate to sound like a broken record, but I want to see this image in one of the sequels:

Plus, you get MJ in danger again, but this time, she fears Spider-Man.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
In the comics Spidey is said to be able to lift 10 tons. With all the characters around now he's kind of a small fry (the Hulk can lift 80 tons to start, and there's supposed to be no limit to his strength if you get him mad enough.)

Although, Spidey is supposed to be the most well rounded character (powers wise) in the Marvel Universe. He's not the fastest, but he's damn fast. He's not the strongest, but he's damn strong. He has amazing reflexes and agility (possibly the best in the MU). Add his Spider sense, the fact that he's a genius, and his webbing, and you have one hell of a superhero.

Incidently, Spidey has been shown to lift over 10 tons in the past, when he really needs it. He's lifted a mountain of rubble that Ock dropped on him, because he'd drown and Aunt May would die if he didn't. He has also lifted a subway train in the comics, but these feats of strength are not very common.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The operating room scene was a complete homage to Evil Dead 2 -- the tentacle's POV shot as it chased the nurse was exactly like the POV shots of the "deadites". The snap zooms, the chainsaw. I was grinning from ear to ear.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Well,that would be one way to give J.K. Simmons more screen time.;)

I would like to see Harry be the Goblin, but with a better costume than his old man. Maybe throw the Lizard in too, though I don't want the film to have a BATMAN vibe to it with too many villians. Hopefully, Raimi will be able to pull it off.

As long as they don't go with the Terrible Tinkerer...

TedT

Second Unit

You had it easy! I had two babies crying and cooing throughout the film. I guess that was kind of cool though, because it distracted me from the guys behind me kicking my chair and the occasional talkers.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Saw the 10AM showing with a mere 30 people in the audience. Nice to not have a crowd for a change.

Definitely liked this movie better than the first, though I also enjoyed the first. Everything just seemed better all around from the CGI to dialogue (though there were still some awkward moments). Really liked the elevator scene and more so "Oh, my back!" in a nod to Maguire's Seabiscuit back injury debacle. Looking forward to the DVD release!

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

See, this is why I could never really take Venom seriously: it's a story about man's underwear swearing vengeance against him for jilting it and running back to his original, safe underwear. Even by Marvel Comics standards, that's just funny to me :D

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
It definitely is a bit of a stretch which, IMO, is also why they should wait. Right now, both of Spidey's villains have been victims of science, but not as fantastic as cosmic powers or aliens. I say throw in a minor villain in the next movie, like Sandman, that pushes things a little further. That way when Venom comes along we won't be going from scientist takes serum and scientist's neural chip malfunctions straight to alien from outer space.

I'd like to see Venom, but there are definitely other villains I want to see first. And, if they aren't gonna do things right, they should leave it alone. Alien symbiote costume aside, I think the Venom story, which is basically the Peter Parker story without the strength of character of Peter, could come off very well.

On a side note, I hope we get to see more baddies in future films. I love the supervillain fights and all but it would be nice to see, whether it be in some type of montage, or even having the opening credits be Bugle front pages with things like "Spider-Man defeats Shocker" on them. Just something that shows that Spidey's life isn't just random street crime with a supervillain every couple years. As for the movies themselves, keep the number of main villains to a minimum.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I like the Lizard. Good villain, though scientists in comic book movies really need to stop taking experimental serums. More often than not, the serums work, but they also have that side effect of turning one all nutty and evil.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
How about the Sinister Six? Of course you'd have to introduce one or two of them in the next movie or so...then have them come back together to defeat Spider-Man.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
This isn't really a proud genre. We've got Superman, Superman 2, and SpiderMan and SpiderMan 2, and X-Men and X-Men 2. I'm hard pressed to come up with many other entries. Darkman, Swamp Thing, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm are okay if you take them on their own terms, but they aren't especially memorable...even in fyou include those second-tier films, for every one of these, there are 10 other films that are close to being certified as crimes against the movie-going public. Captain America, Wonder Woman, The Fantastic Four, Judge Dredd, Steel, Catwoman, The Hulk, all of the live-action Batman movies for the most part...the list goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks