Bowers & Wilkins has confirmed the launch of a new five-model set of wireless audio products, know as the Formation Suite, offering multi-room sound “without compromise.” The company says it has developed what it calls “Formation Wireless Technology”, a proprietary Mesh Network featuring a patented speaker synhcronization function that can transfer audio between speakers in under one microsecond and in 24-bit/96kHz resolution. The range includes the Formation Bar, an LCR sound bar specifically designed to be proficient with both movies and music.
Five products initially comprise the Formation Suite, although the company says that the line will evolve and grow over time:
• Formation Wedge, featuring a 120-degree elliptical speaker shape and dedicated full-range stereo sound components, to deliver room filling high-resolution sound. ($899)
• Formation Bar – Nine optimised drive units for a wide soundstage including a dedicated centre channel. ($1,199)
• Formation Bass – Opposed drivers, powerful amplifiers and Dynamic EQ provide outstanding bass response without distortion. Can be paired with other Formation components for the ultimate audio immersion. ($999)
• Formation Duo – Adopts the same Carbon Dome tweeter-on-top technology and Continuum Cone mid/bass drive unit as Bowers & Wilkins’ wired speakers. Listeners can now experience that legendary sound, wirelessly. ($3,999)
• Formation Audio – Patented Formation Wireless Technology turns any traditional analogue component into a high-fidelity streaming device for a best-of-all worlds sound experience. ($699)
“The Formation Suite is the most technologically innovative line of wireless products our development team has ever created. Formation sets a new standard in the world of wireless sound, proving that full wired fidelity can be achieved wirelessly,” said Greg Lee, CEO of Bowers & Wilkins “Now consumers can get the high-performance audio quality they expect from Bowers & Wilkins coupled with an unmatched, easy-to-use, wireless listening experience, making Formation the new standard in whole home audio.”
Gideon Yu, Co-Chairman of Bowers & Wilkins said “Three years ago, we had the vision to combine 50 years of Bowers & Wilkins acoustic history with Silicon Valley automation expertise to create an amazing user experience that is simple, powerful and incredible to listen to. Today, it’s amazing to witness that vision come to life. The Formation Suite introduces consumers to wireless sound technology that is unparalleled in the audio space and showcases the true innovation this company is capable of. This is just the beginning. There is so much more to come”.
Having attended the corresponding UK launch in London last week, I can vouch that this line of products lives up to the B&W name with each speaker exhibiting extraordinary scale and a convincingly deep soundstage. You can learn more about each speaker on B&W’s company website here.
Some of our content may contain marketing links, which means we will receive a commission for purchases made via those links. In our editorial content, these affiliate links appear automatically, and our editorial teams are not influenced by our affiliate partnerships. We work with several providers (currently Skimlinks and Amazon) to manage our affiliate relationships. You can find out more about their services by visiting their sites.