-

Photo

Speaker stands that look like Roman or Greek columns

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Al Garay

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 09:32 AM

My wife does not want metal speaker stands in our family room. She really wants the stands to look like Greek or Roman columns. WELL, she is allowing me to get the 1801's plus AKSA 100 watt mono-block and TLP2 pre-amp and ... all for this Christmas.

So, I can let her choose the finish and the stands. But , darn it! I'm having a hard time finding any already made or designs that I can builid.

So, I come to you for help. Have you seen any designs or commercial stands that look like Roman or Greek columns? 20 to 24" tall.

This is the closest I have seen that may work for her. I have to figure out how to do it... she prefers to buy them already made ... seeing how busy I am supposed to be....

Sample DIY Greek column

Thanks,

Al Garay

#2 of 13 Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted December 05 2002 - 10:47 AM

I seem to remember someone getting these recently. They are a plaster mold and can be found at a garden store (normally a potted plant would be placed on top).

#3 of 13 Dennis Higgins

Dennis Higgins

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 11:09 AM

Look at Home Decorators Collection.
http://www.homedecorators.com
Look under Decorative Accents, Pedestals.
They have many different styles.
Some even hold CDs.

#4 of 13 Al Garay

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 11:24 AM

Yup. I'm going to check out garden shops and homedecorating type shops. I've heard to stay away from the plaster mold ones and go with the plastic/stone mix that can be filled with sand.

Here is the tip. Looks very nice and it might make my wife happy.
http://www.madisound....gi?read=225709

Thanks,

Al

#5 of 13 George Martin

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 04:35 PM

You might also check Hobby Lobby I saw some there this weekend.

#6 of 13 Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 06:42 PM

I actually saw some of those Greek column-looking pedestals at the local Wal-mart. They were probably about 24 inches tall or so, didn't see the price.
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#7 of 13 Al Garay

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 07:12 PM

I'll check Wal Mart just in case.

Thanks,

Al

#8 of 13 Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 07:23 PM

I've seen those in Walmart too, they were back in the fabrics department.

#9 of 13 Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor

• 600 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 08:15 PM

Al, I bought a pair from Walmart. They were in fact in the fabrics department near the plastic flowers stuff. They were $15 each. I filled the bottom with sand then sealed them up & painted them black gloss. They work great for the price.
Sounds like someone is going to have a nice Christmas!!!
It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have had a good pair of speakers at all !!!

#10 of 13 Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 12:58 AM

I got 2 of them for my rear surrounds, my wife painted them with the house interior trim. They work fine and my wife is happy.Posted Image Posted Image
Ducit Amor Patriae
Non Nobis Domine, Non Nobis Sed Nominee Tuo Da Gloriam
Deo Vindice

#11 of 13 Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 01:29 AM

I'm not sure where you live, but if you are in Texas I have a pair of concrete Greek-column pedestals, nicely painted, that I'm trying to get rid of. I'll give them to you for a good price if you transport (they are REALLY heavy- probably 80 pounds each). Contact me privately via email.
I'm not using them for my front speakers because my wife hated them and wanted the black metal ones instead. Strange creatures, these women... Posted Image

#12 of 13 GarySI

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 03:15 AM

Try the tnt-audio.com site they have some intersting DIY projects. I built my Flexy rack from there, and am building Cat-5 speaker cables at the moment.
I know the hearse is double parked and the motor's running.
It could be worse, it could be me.

#13 of 13 Al Garay

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 01:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.

Made great progress today. Looked around and ended up ordering these:
http://www.thecraftp....&CFID=31477

These are the ones my wife originally saw online. They are made from a mold out of plastic and stone mix they call polyclay. Anyways, they have a hollow core and a 4" hole at the bottom of the stand. It will be easy to stuff it with Ziploc bags filled with sand (to avoid spillage) and plug it with something (that I don't know yet). Should be plenty stable.

I'll build a top shelf that's 1-2" thick to make the stand be exactly 22".

The best news of all, it's costing me $59 for the pair including shipping to WA. And my wife is excited about them. I'm happy.

I also placed an order for Honduran and African Mahogany. So, the cabinet finish will be Mahogany. I'm starting to build the cabinets this Sunday, actually my friend Darren Thomas will be my instructor/lead and I'll probably be the follower.
Also, I will get a chance to listen to my AKSA 100W mono-blocks using Darren's AV1+ and Tempest subwoofer. I do feel lucky! blessed.

Thanks to many of you have given me help,

Al