Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anyone know if a Firewire/USB 2.0 Pro Sound Card is on its way?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted November 19 2002 - 01:12 AM

I am putting together a better computer recording setup, but to make good band recordings I'll need at least 6, preferably 8 audio inputs.

Unfortunately USB devices top out at 4, meaning I cannot go down the laptop route.

Presumably firewire or USB2.0 will allow more inputs/outputs but no such devices seem to exist yet that I can find.

Anyone got any advice or ideas?

Cheers.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted November 19 2002 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately USB devices top out at 4, meaning I cannot go down the laptop route.

Actually, that is untrue...like Ethernet, you can add USB hubs to increase the number of devices. I think you can have up to 32 (or is it 16?) USB devices with the use of hubs.

I am unaware of any sound peripherals other than the Creative Labs Extigy that does what you want with USB2/Firewire. You might want to check the high-end recording studio magazines and see if such a beast exists in the professional world.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted November 19 2002 - 09:55 AM

Apologies, I don't mean four USB devices but 4 audio inputs!!:b

I will keep checking literature. Cheers.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted November 19 2002 - 02:20 PM

You can add firewire hubs as well.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted November 20 2002 - 11:11 AM

Probably the most likely candidate would be a new Audigy card. Right now it's USB 1.1, which I THINK has a high enough capacity to handle music data (12 Mbps, uncompressed CD quality sound is 1.4 Mbps).

The current Audigy that is out seems to support only 2 or 3 inputs -- I'm not sure if thats limited because of USB Bandwidth or not.

However, I don't expect to see a USB2/Firewire only card until they get a bit more common in PCs. They're still a bit rare these days.....
My Collection
Webmaster, The iPod Store (currently under construction) & The iPod mini Store
My Home Theater Page

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Cliff Watson

Cliff Watson

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted November 20 2002 - 01:44 PM

M Audio has a 10in/10out FireWire Audio System in the works. Don't know when it will be released.
Best Regards, Cliff

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted November 20 2002 - 03:05 PM

Motu is all firewire or USB. Their stuff is considered pro quality- and pretty common in the recording world. Their new 2408 is an excellent interface.

Motu is very well known, pick up any recording mag for musicians and you'll find the mag dominated by discussions of MOTU products as everyone uses them. This is not some "on the horizon" technology- people have been using them for years.

Motu 828 is firewire, eight channels of analog input and output - along with 8 channels of ADAT S/PDIF for a totla of 18 inputs and 18 outputs.

Motu 896 is firewire, eight channels of analog input with mic preamps and 8 outputs - along with 8 channels of ADAT S/PDIF for a totla of 18 inputs and 18 outputs.

Curious why it has to be USB or Firewire- there are great cards with multi inputs that are PCI- and cheaper than MOTU (aardvark, echo, etc)-- and real pro interfaces (Digi or Motu 2408 for example) are PCI cards with breakout boxes.

-Vince
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users